Date: 9/1/18 2:36 pm
From: 'James Tyler Bell' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Hummers in danger
Perhaps a less dire reason for your hummer drop off is migration. Labor Day weekend used to be the big blastoff for Ruby-throats but they tend to linger longer these days. We still have at least one pair but expect visitation to drop off in the next week.

Tyler Bell
<jtylerbell...>
California, Maryland

On Saturday, September 1, 2018, 12:41:15 PM EDT, Patricia Valdata <pvaldata1...> wrote:

I noticed a sudden, sharp drop-off in hummingbird activity yesterday and today. Only one hummer approached the feeder while I was watching today, but it was very skittish and never drank.

I went out to change the nectar and discovered the reason: a preying mantis was lurking on the side of the humzinger, just below the red lid.
Mantis was escorted to the other side of our yard, but I'll make a point of checking the outside of the feeder more carefully every day from now on.

Pat ValdataCrisfield, Somerset County