Date: 8/31/18 7:28 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Wachusett Mountain (31 Aug 2018) 14 Raptors

Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 18:10:13 -0800
From: <reports...>
Subject: Wachusett Mountain (31 Aug 2018) 14 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 14 101 101

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Rod Chase

Observers: Bill Rasku, Kathy Olson, Marty McNamara, Steve Olson

Visitors:
Observers: Bill Rasku, Rod Chase, Kathy & Steve Olson,
Marty McNamara.
Newcomers Doug Wipf, Chris & Tim Eddy are locals -- and have some skills!
All were fun and helpfuland we hope they come back.
Barbara also knew what was going and Paul Sukonen joined
us again for an hour plus.

Weather:
Winds gusty in 1st hour (10-15mph/8-16kpm) but dropped
soon to 5-8mph and from noon on to 0-3mph/0-5kpm. Direction also slowly
drifted from ENE at start, then E at 10am and from noon 'til end from ESE.

Temp.was 60F/15.5F at start, 61/16 at 10am and 68F/20C
from noon until end.
Visibility 10mi/16Km all day. Cloud cover 90% except for the 10am hour
where 75% allowed for some more sunlight and slightly stronger thermal
lift. Orographic lift from our hill was present all day. A few raptors
briefly "in our faces!"

Raptor Observations:
Migrating: OS 3; BE 1 (adult, 10:51am); BW 7; SS 1; RT 1; and ML 1.
total:14

Locals: In 1st hour a Goshawk rode the wind up over our heads and THEN
drifted down to rest in that bare snag of branches to the right of the
north relay building! Plenty of time for viewing and ... if anyone had a
camera.
Not also was this wonderful but a return visit and longer pose from the
snag left us cheering!
A second Goshawk (darker underneath, fewer stripes) also went over high
but left to NW.
Also: 9 TV; 6 RT imm., 2 ad.; 2 BW; 1 BE imm.; 1 CH.

Non-raptor Observations:
1 Raven, 5 Chimney Swifts. 2 Towhees.
Migrating: 5 Monarchs; 38 DC Cormorants overhead and all
together.

Predictions:
Tonight: Mostly cloudy. Lows in the mid 50s. Northeast
winds around 5 mph.
Saturday: Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 70s. East
winds around 5 mph.
NOTE: Cadillac Mtn. and Clarry Hill had good flights
today. Increases possibilities of movement while I'm at
work ...
Report submitted by Rod Chase (<rodchase...>)
Wachusett Mountain information may be found at:
http://www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=228

Join us on Facebook!