Date: 8/31/18 4:17 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Wachusett Mountain (30 Aug 2018) 9 Raptors

Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 13:31:17 -0800
From: <reports...>
Subject: Wachusett Mountain (30 Aug 2018) 9 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 9 87 87

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 13:00:00
Total observation time: 5 hours

Official Counter:

Observers: Ted Mara

Visitors:
Visitors: Barbara Bates, Carl Bates (thinks he might have grown up in same
neighborhood as Bill R.)

Weather:
Weather: wind 5-10mph, direction NW to N at 11am, 24-26C
cloud cover 15-80%, flight level 3, going SW.
Visibility cleared drastically at around 1130am. Weather
was mid-seventies all day - beautiful.

Raptor Observations:
Kinda slow but interesting. Good conditions but little in the pipeline.
All raptors came out of North.
Early in the
afternoon I glanced up 100' and was startled to see a Black Vulture
directly overhead. I watched it fly directly to the SW horizon - awesome!

Non-raptor Observations:
5 staggered Chimney Swifts, 1 Raven, 2 Monarchs.

The juvenile flying circus (flight practice) was busy from 11am on with
young TVs and Rod's kids. [actually, the 6 imm. RT's.-- rod]

Predictions:
Forecast is supposed to be NE wind, with wind becoming SW over weekend.
Report submitted by Rod Chase (<rodchase...>)
Wachusett Mountain information may be found at:
http://www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=228

Join us on Facebook!