Date: 8/29/18 12:44 pm
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Plum Island (Parker River NWR) - 08-29-2018
This hot Wednesday morning, David Moon and I led the Wednesday Morning

Birding program out of Joppa Flats Education Center on to Plum Island
and Parker River National Wildlife Refuge.  Temps ranged from 86 to 94
degrees Fahrenheit with some humidity thrown in for good measure for a
98-degree heat index.  Skies were partly cloudy and winds were 5-10/SW..
We actually started out at the Joppa Park boat ramp, but missed any
remaining flats by minutes yielding to the incoming tide. While there,
we did pick up about 10 Bonapartes' Gulls plus a few Ring-billed and
Herring Gulls and an Osprey.

Our list:
Mallard (~ 20) - juvs.; Stage Island Pool.
Common Eider (3) - 2 young drakes, 1 hen; Emerson Rocks.
Double-crested Cormorant (~ 25) - various.
Great Blue Heron (2) - 1, SIP; 1, Bill Forward Pool.
Great Egret - common; various.
Snowy Egret - common; various.
Osprey (1) - overhead; Hellcat dike.
[Cooper's Hawk (1) - juv.; PRNWR HQ.]
Cooper's Hawk (1) - flyby BFP blind.
Black-belled Plover (~ 40) - BFP.
Semipalmated Plover - common; various, mostly BFP.
Piping Plover (2) - seven beach.
Spotted Sandpiper (1) - SIP.
Greater Yellowlegs - common; SIP & BFP.
Lesser Yellowlegs - common; mostly BFP.
RED KNOT (5) - juvs.; BFP.
Sanderling (~ 15) - seven beach.
Semipalmated Sandpiper - common; mostly BFP.
Least Sandpiper (3) - 2, SIP; 1, N. Pool from Hellcat dike.
White-rumped Sandpiper (8) - 4, BFP; 4, N. Pool from Hellcat dike.
BAIRD'S SANDPIPER (1) - BFP, seen close aboard Hellcat dike (posted
earlier by David Moon via Massbird).
BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER (2) - BFP, seen close aboard Hellcat dike
(posted earlier by David Moon via Massbird).
Short-billed Dowitcher (~ 13) - ~ 10, BFP; 3, N. Pool from Hellcat dike.
Ring-billed Gull - seven beach.
Herring Gull - seven beach.
Great Black-backed Gull (5) - seven beach.
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove (2)
Eastern Kingbird (0)
Blue Jay (2)
Tree Swallow (~ 50)
Barn Swallow (1) - seven beach.
Gray Catbird (1)
Northern Mockingbird (6) - parking lot #7.
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing - common; various.
House Finch (~ 25) - parking lot #7.

We will meet again next week back at Joppa Flats at 0930 for Wednesday
Morning Birding. For more information about Joppa Flats programs, call
David Moon or Dave Larson at 978-462-9998.

Dave Weaver
Manchester, MA 01944
<cygnus-dkw...>

Join us on Facebook!