Date: 8/28/18 5:39 pm
From: Cheryl Hogue <cheryl.hogue...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Re: more on nighthawks
On Sunday, August 26, 2018 at 9:04:42 PM UTC-4, Harry Armistead wrote:
> I wasn't trying to dispute the feeling of so many of us that nighthawks are in decline when I reported the sighting of 14,000+ at Hawk Ridge, Minnesota, in one day recently.  It occurred to me that some might have taken it that way.  I have felt for years that
> they have been in drastic decline in areas of the Delmarva Peninsula I'm familiar with both as breeders and migrants.  Used to be on the May counts, when I was the only participant, or just had 1 or 2 friends with me, all you had to do was drive through Cambridge
> with the windows down at dusk, or in the middle of the night, and w/o even stopping you'd hear 1 or 2 or 3.  It's rare to get them at all now, even with a dozen or more participants.  When they are commoner I'd see not nearly as many on the Eastern Shore as
> others would on the other side, in the Piedmont, etc.  My high for Rigby's Folly was 40 on Sept. 2, 1974.  Haven't gotten even close to that at any other time, such as 15 on Aug. 18, 1995, 10 on Sept. 15, 1975, and 6 on Aug. 30, 1994. - Harry Armistead, Philadelphia.

Harry, thanks for the memories. I worked in Cambridge, on High Street, back in the '80s. Peenting nighthawks flew through the streetlights in front of the Post Office on summer nights, snapping up bugs. My boss, a birder, told me they nested on top of the Post Office's flat roof.

I saw nighthawks in Baltimore 20 years ago in the summer.

I think I've only seen Common Nighthawks five time times since then. Last time was before Labor Day about 8 years ago, when I saw a flock of them at sunset in over a pasture in Poolesville.

Cheryl Hogue
Silver Spring