Date: 8/27/18 11:43 am
From: Louise Barteau <lbarteau...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Nahant Thicket/Stump dump 8/25
Hello all:

There are many vines - some are native and some are not. Native vines play an essential role in the eco-system. Non-native vines often play a destructive role in the ecosystem by crowding out native vines and plants. The best two books about this are Doug Tallemy "Bringing Nature Home and Sara Stein "Noah's Garden." They are wonderful books.

Native vines include: Grape (Vitis sp.), Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus quinqufoilia), Trumpet honeysuckle, Lonicera sempervirens (considered native in Bristol and a few other counties, Greenbriar (Smilax rotundifolia) etc.

Non-native include: Louise's swallowwort, (Cynanchum louiseae), Asian bittersweet, (Celastrus orbiculatus) , Morrow's honeysuckle (Lonicera morrowii), Japanese honeysuckle (Lonicera japonica) etc. Ampelopsis is a relative newcomer to the area but very invasive.

It is always important to know the plant and how it is being used in the eco-system before removing it. Many birds in the winter use the tangled mess of the vines for habitat also - so timing of plant work is important to think about.

If you need a plant ID - go botany has a site to submit your photo and if it can be identified by the photo the resident botanist will gladly help. Thanks to New England Wildflower Society and Go Botany for that wonderful site.

Happy birding and botanzing.

Louise Barteau Fairhaven, MA
On Aug 25, 2018, at 6:01 PM, Paul Guidetti <guidettipaul...> wrote:

> Good evening,
> If the vines are porcelain berry
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampelopsis_glandulosa_var._brevipedunculata they will be very attractive once the fruit ripens. I have a personal vendetta against this vine as it is trying to take over my yard and neighborhood. Birds love the fruit and seedlings sprout up everywhere in the spring. Sadly, the vine and fruit are beautiful. They are fairly easy to identify however.
>
> On a birdier note, the orioles are hanging around eating jelly (and choke cherries) and Iíve had a ton of dueling hummingbirds battling over my three feeders.
>
> Take care.
> Paul Guidetti
> Westford, MA
>
> On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 5:46 PM Childs, Jackson <jchilds...> wrote:
> I made a brief late morning stop here after the beach. No migrants in the thicket but a Northern Waterthrush, Canada warbler, and American Redstart in the back of the stump area.
>
> I've noticed the thicket has recently been overgrown with vines in many areas. I wonder if these are native. I would guess they are not very attractive to migrants? The stump area is largely free of them.
>

> Jackson Childs
> <jchilds...>
> Arlington, MA

Join us on Facebook!