Date: 7/10/18 11:30 am
From: Karen Holliday <ladyhawke1...>
Subject: ASCA Field Trip Saturday
The July field trip sponsored by the Audubon Society of Central Arkansas is this Saturday, July 14.  Please see details below.  It will be fairly hot Saturday so come prepared.  I've also included information about the August field trip.  Anyone is welcome to join us.  You don't have to be a member of ASCA.  If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me off-list.Karen HollidayASCA Field Trip CoordinatorLittle Rock
 July 14Dr. Lester SitzesIII Bois D’Arc WMAHope, HempsteadCountyMeetat 7:00 a.m. at the south end of the commuter parking lot at the I-630/I-430intersection at Shackleford Road in Little Rock.  We’ll stop at the McDonalds in Hope (Exit 30off I-30) around 8:45 a.m. for those in south Arkansas who would like to joinus.  Look for Great-tailed Grackles atMcDonalds.  We should arrive at the BoisD’Arc WMA at 9:15 a.m.  Our target birdswill be Purple and Common Gallinules and their chicks, Least Bitterns,Anhingas, Black-bellied Whistling Ducks, herons, egrets, and possibly analligator or two!  Very little walkingwill be involved.  Bring scopes, hat, sunscreen, plentyof water, snacks, and lunch.  Another lunch option is there areseveral restaurants in Hope if you prefer to eat in a restaurant.  BoisD‘Arc WMA is located 10 miles south of Hope. Take Exit 30 off I-30 and go east. Continue past McDonald’s, then under the railroad overpass.  At the light at the big intersection, turnright onto Hwy. 67.  Go 1/3 of amile.  At the brown sign, turn left ontoHwy. 174.  Take Hwy. 174 south 6 miles tothe 3-way stop sign at Spring Hill.  Turnright onto Hwy. 355.  Go west for 4miles.  Turn right at the white woodenWMA sign just before the highway ends in the lake.  Follow the paved road, then turn left onto thefirst gravel road and go down to the lake. GPS: 33.558062, -93.694239 August 25Bald Knob NationalWildlife RefugeBald Knob, WhiteCountyMeet at 7:00 a.m. in North Little Rock in the Other Center parking lot onthe east side behind McDonald’s.  TheOther Center is on McCain Blvd. across from McCain Mall.  Take Exit 1 west off US-67/167.  We’ll arrive at Bald Knob NWR around 8:30a.m. for those who want to meet us there. Look for the line of cars parked on Coal Chute Road.  This federal refuge is also a NationalAudubon Important Bird Area.  We expectto find shorebirds, herons, night-herons, egrets, and possibly Wood Storks andRoseate Spoonbills.  It will be very hotso bring plenty of water, snacks, sunscreen, and a hat.  If you have a scope, bring it.  Very little walking will be involved.  There is no bathroom on-site.  There is a McDonald’s just off Hwy. 67/167 atBald Knob Exit 55.  Go to www.fws.gov/baldknob/ for drivingdirections and more information about the refuge.  GPS: 35.260233, -91.571903

Join us on Facebook!