Date: 7/9/18 4:00 pm
From: Kimball Garrett <kgarrett...> [LACoBirds] <LACoBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] RE: February 19, 1996 Sandhill Crane in Palos Verdes
Tom,

My records show that this Sandhill Crane was present on the Palos Verdes Peninsula 5 February to 7 March 1996, but was possibly present since November 1995. Martin Byhower is listed as the finder, but Tom Wurster was at least one of the other observers. Perhaps Tom can fill in details or enter his sighting into eBird. Apparently it was an immature bird with a bill deformity.

This record was published in the "Southern Pacific Coast Region" report in Field Notes, v. 50 no. 2, 1996 (p. 222). As you may recall, Field Notes was formerly Audubon Field Notes, then American Birds; it became North American Birds in 1999 and continues (albeit in fits and starts) to this day. It is a great reference, and today's "eBird generation" would do well to be aware of its existence, and to subscribe to it and support it in order to follow what is happening with North American bird status and distribution. It is published by the American Birding Association, and the ABA needs to be constantly reminded of how important it is to continue this enterprise.

Kimball

Kimball L. Garrett
Ornithology Collections Manager
900 Exposition Blvd.