Date: 7/9/18 12:58 pm
From: Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Hermann's Gull & Mute Swan in Salt Pond A16
Chuq

It is still early for juvenile Heermann’s Gulls to be moving north in numbers. I think that last year we detected our first in Half Moon Bay on the 12th of July, so they should begin pretty soon. I have not heard of a breeding failure this year in Baja, the last failed year was 2016. There is a lot known about the Elegant Terns, they have done fantastically well nesting in southern California during the Baja warm water years. So the decision to move north has been very positive for them. I give them 5 years before they are nesting somewhere in SF Bay.

BTW, If anyone wants to get out to see how the ocean is doing this year. Our first trip to the Farallon Islands is next Saturday. http://alvarosadventures.com/boat-trips/pelagics/ There are Humpback Whales building now, and the islands should be full of birds.

Good birding,

Alvaro Jaramillo

<mailto:<alvaro...> <alvaro...>

www.alvarosadventures.com