Date: 7/6/18 11:12 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Photo: Need help on identification
I dunno. I agree the 'jizz' looks most like Least and not like Dunlin. But
the bill appears too long for Least
but too short for Dunlin but maybe OK for a very short-billed male. The
back appears too dark and unpatterned for either, although
the feathers are quite worn and the potentially lighter edging could be
mostly worn off. Even so very dark for a Dunlin.
Jim says he also saw Least & Western and this was bird was larger than a
'sandpiper'.
Of course, a Dunlin is also a sandpiper. Maybe he means larger than the
other two, which a Dunlin is.
Are there more photos? Were the legs visible? The small amount of leg
visible seems to be between
yellow and dark. How about (hee hee) a Least x Dunlin cross?
Or, what about this?

http://www.sibleyguides.com/2010/02/an-apparent-hybrid-sandpiper-in-thailand/

Bob OBrien Carver OR

On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 10:15 PM, Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
wrote:

> Hard to tell from just one pic from behind, but this strikes me as a worn
> adult Least. They can be remarkably dark and plain looking.
>
> Alan Contreras
> Eugene, Oregon
>
> <acontrer56...>
>
> www.alanlcontreras.com
>

> On Jul 6, 2018, at 10:04 PM, Leith McKenzie (Redacted sender
> "loinneilceol" for DMARC) <dmarc-noreply...> wrote:
>
> My first reaction to the picture was Dunlin. That can't be right, but I
> think it's closer than any other species. I see it larger than a peep.
> Dark feathering of the upperparts is not explainable as a known species or
> known hybrid. Underparts appear to be stunningly white and unstreaked
> which fits nothing either. I think the bill looks better for Dunlin better
> than anything else. If I was free, I would put in some time to relocate
> this bird, as it may be important to science. My intuition is that DNA
> would show the parents are Dunlin, but expressed in a novel phenotype.
>

> Date: Tue Jul 3 2018 8:40 am
> From: photojleonard AT gmail.com
>
> I was at Taverner's Marsh along Coville Rd. ("The Narrows") at Baskett Slough NWR yesterday and photographed this young bird. I need help with identification. It was larger than a sandpiper. The water is getting low so some shorebirds are showing up. I photographed a Western & Least Sandpiper and some Greater Yellowlegs. Click on link below for photo. Thanks for your help. Photo by Jim Leonard.
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/arDn... <https://photos.app.goo.gl/arDnZzhDVZ4CUxaw7>
>

> “Each of us is in truth an idea of the Great Gull and an unlimited idea of
> freedom.”
>
> Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Join us on Facebook!