Date: 7/6/18 11:07 pm
From: Philip Kline <pgeorgekline...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Photo: Need help on identification
I'm also in the least sandpiper camp on this one. I think any speculation
on size from this photo is just that, so we need to focus on plumage and
structure. Even a short-billed dunlin should have a bill noticeably longer
than the depth of its head. This bird's bill appears to be between 3/4 to
at most equal the depth of its head, which is good for least. Dunlin
should also show a more noticeable droop to the bill tip. The relatively
bold face pattern, with a fairly broad pale supercillium as bold and wide
behind the eye as in front and the noticeably darker ear coverts also seem
much better for least than dunlin. I see nothing wrong with the flanks
appearing pure white and unstreaked from this angle either. And the legs,
though shaded, do not look dark enough for dunlin. The O'Brien, Crossley,
Karlson shorebird guide shows a worn adult alternate-plumaged least
sandpiper on page 160 that looks quite similar to and just as dark-backed
as this one. My two cents anyway and thanks for the fun ID challenge.

Good birding,

Philip Kline

On Fri, Jul 6, 2018, 10:15 PM Alan Contreras <acontrer56...> wrote:

> Hard to tell from just one pic from behind, but this strikes me as a worn
> adult Least. They can be remarkably dark and plain looking.
>
> Alan Contreras
> Eugene, Oregon
>
> <acontrer56...>
>
> www.alanlcontreras.com
>

> On Jul 6, 2018, at 10:04 PM, Leith McKenzie (Redacted sender
> "loinneilceol" for DMARC) <dmarc-noreply...> wrote:
>
> My first reaction to the picture was Dunlin. That can't be right, but I
> think it's closer than any other species. I see it larger than a peep.
> Dark feathering of the upperparts is not explainable as a known species or
> known hybrid. Underparts appear to be stunningly white and unstreaked
> which fits nothing either. I think the bill looks better for Dunlin better
> than anything else. If I was free, I would put in some time to relocate
> this bird, as it may be important to science. My intuition is that DNA
> would show the parents are Dunlin, but expressed in a novel phenotype.
>

> Date: Tue Jul 3 2018 8:40 am
> From: photojleonard AT gmail.com
>
> I was at Taverner's Marsh along Coville Rd. ("The Narrows") at Baskett Slough NWR yesterday and photographed this young bird. I need help with identification. It was larger than a sandpiper. The water is getting low so some shorebirds are showing up. I photographed a Western & Least Sandpiper and some Greater Yellowlegs. Click on link below for photo. Thanks for your help. Photo by Jim Leonard.
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/arDn... <https://photos.app.goo.gl/arDnZzhDVZ4CUxaw7>
>

> “Each of us is in truth an idea of the Great Gull and an unlimited idea of
> freedom.”
>
> Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Join us on Facebook!