Date: 7/6/18 5:25 pm
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Crook American? Golden Plover
Nice bird.

I agree with your assessment.  IMO general proportions look more like American.  Also, the bird has retained just enough blsck feathering on the flanks to suggest that its (now missing) white neck tripe did not extend to the flanks.

Wayne
On 7/6/2018 5:12:45 PM, Charles Gates <cgates326...> wrote:
Today, I got two reports of a golden plover at the Crooked River Wetlands [https://www.cityofprineville.com/wetlands] in Prineville (Crook County). Ron Halvorson and Cash Lowe independently came across this bird while walking the wetlands this morning. I'm not sure who got there first and they will probably be happy to share the honors. I arrived close to noon and took some photos. I also spent some time looking at this bird through my scope. The primaries seem to extend well past the tail and show extensively past the secondaries. There is some golden flecking but not as much as I think would be present in Pacific GP, especially in the head. American is expected more often inland. For these reasons, I think this bird is an American Golden-plover. You can see my photos at https://flic.kr/s/aHskE5ZQjq [https://flic.kr/s/aHskE5ZQjq] and let me know if I'm wrong. I've seen very few golden plovers in my day so I'm ready to be corrected.

Here's a teaser photo
[asdfasd]
-- It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so. Mark Twain Chuck Gates Prineville Bird Club 541-280-4957 Powell Butte, Central Oregon Oregon Birding Site Guide http://www.ecaudubon.org/birding-locations [http://www.ecaudubon.org/birding-locations] Oregon County Checklists http://www.ecaudubon.org/county-checklists [http://www.ecaudubon.org/county-checklists]

[#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2]

Join us on Facebook!