Date: 7/6/18 12:25 pm
From: B Boekelheide <bboek...>
Subject: [Tweeters] 2018 Neah Bay pelagic outings
2018 Neah Bay Pelagic Trips:

Trip dates: July 14, August 18 & Sept 15

Once again we are organizing pelagic trips this summer aboard the M/V Windsong out of Neah Bay. We will travel through the west entrance of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, move W by NW to Swiftsure Bank, and then S by SW along the edge of the Juan de Fuca Canyon. Our return route travels by Umatilla Reef and seabird colonies at Flattery Rocks and Tatoosh Island, before returning to Neah Bay. This route explores areas of the renowned Juan de Fuca Eddy. Target birds include a variety of tubenoses and alcids, along with early migrant jaegers, terns, gulls, phalaropes, and others from northern nesting areas. Every year is different, of course, but in past years we have discovered big feeding flocks of seabirds, along with concentrations of marine mammals, at the margins of Swiftsure Bank and the edges of the J de F Canyon.

We start boarding at 7:30 am and depart when all are aboard, with an estimated return to harbor around 4 pm. Departure from NB is always weather-dependent, at the discretion of Windsong's skipper - fingers crossed, cancellations won't happen. Fees are variable and will be collected when boarding: x1 trip $160; x2 outings $140 ea; x3 outings $120 ea. Neah Bay and Hobuck Beach have a variety of motels, cabins, and a campground, if you want to stay out there before or after the trip.

For reservations and more info contact Denny [dennyvanhorn AT gmail.com] and an informational flyer will quickly be sent to you. See you out there July 14th, August 18th and/or September 15th, eh!

Good birding,
Denny Van Horn & Bob Boekelheide
Dungeness