Date: 7/5/18 9:11 pm
From: Roy Lowe <roy.loweiii...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Birds fishing in the surf
Not wanting to drag this string out on osprey foraging, but ironically “out of the blue” my brother sent me a photo this afternoon of a fish that fell out of the sky and struck his shop under construction. The fish is a red-tailed surfperch and it was being carried back to an osprey nest when the osprey was attacked by an eagle and dropped the fish. He lives 1.5 miles north of Ona Beach.

Roy

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 4:00 PM, Gerard Lillie <gerardlillie...> wrote:
>
> About three weeks ago Alice and I went to the south coast for a few days and stayed at Ireland's in Gold Beach. While sitting on the deck overlooking the ocean one afternoon I saw a bird in the distance flying up from the south. I became excited as it looked like it had a long tail and I thought it might be a tropicbird. As it came closer and I watched in my binoculars I realized it was an Osprey. As it flew past us I saw it was carrying a Pacific Lamprey which dangled and trailed below it. I am sure of the id as I clearly saw the tail fins.
>
> As a Pacific Lamprey aside: if you ever have a chance to see the Anthony Bourdain (I can't believe he is gone) episode about lampreys, watch it. He goes along with native Americans to Willamette Falls in Oregon City after lamprey. They go into the falls and fish for them by hand by reaching into crevices in the rocks feeling for them. They then grab the lamprey behind the head and yank them off the rocks all the while with water crashing down on and around them. It is death defying.
>
> Gerard Lillie
> Portland, OR

Join us on Facebook!