Date: 7/5/18 12:50 pm
From: Jennifer Jarstad <jennjarstad...>
Subject: Re: [Tweeters] Another Seattle Nighthawk sighting--what's the deal?
I wonder if you could view the Safeway roof top from a higher floor in the
Kaiser building across the street. Might be worth a try.

Jenn Jarstad
Seattle, WA

> On Jul 4, 2018, at 4:31 PM, Ed Newbold <ednewbold1...> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I was delighted to hear of Mary Hrudkaj's audio-sightings of Seattle
Nighthawks in her wonderful Special Olympics post. Thanks Mary!

> Our friend Mark Moon also reported a very recent Seattle sighting, a bird
continuously beeping over the Safeway on Capitol Hill at 15th and John on
Monday July 2nd around 10 pm.

> When Mark told me this I began to brim with an unwise amount of optimism
that this could maybe be a bird on territory!

> (Like many, I burn a candle that the Nighthawk might return to Seattle
some day as a breeder. It is 38-40 years gone now.)

> To informally test out the bird-on-territory hypothesis we went over to
the Safeway last night and spent some quality time around 10 pm in the
parking lot and walking around on the sidewalks as July 4 revelry proceeded
in the drinking establishments filled with people mostly younger than us
and not thinking "It's passed my bed-time."

> Unfortunately, we neither saw nor heard any Nighthawks. But I'm curious
about these sightings. It's late in the season, is it not, for the regular
migration of Nighthawks?

> Is it possible that Nighthawks are slightly prospering in the nearby
clearcuts and balds of the lowland foothills? A more pessimistic
explanation is these could be wandering refugees from the drought in OR and
CA.

> I'm always interested in what the erudite readership of Tweeters might
have to say on about this,

> Thanks all,
> Ed Newbold Beacon Hill
>

> PS Also, I've been trying to research the big solar projects that are
coming into Eastern Washington and I don't seem to be able to ascertain if
these are just an array of solar collectors or the special solar plants
that concentrate rays and trap and burn birds. Does anyone know?

> PPS Richard Rowlett is also the person who had the most surprising (to
me) Tweeter-sighting of the year last year, when he witnessed a
Black-crowned Night Heron fleeing the Fourth of July madness on Lake Union.