Date: 7/5/18 11:38 am
From: Andrew Baksh <birdingdude...>
Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] Black-bellied Whistling Duck - still at Nissequogue River State Park, LI
That was exactly my thoughts when I was there on July 3rd and I did a loop of the pond checking but did not spy any nest. Definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Cheers,

--------
"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." ~ Frederick Douglass

風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire
山 Steady as the mountain
Sun Tzu The Art of War

> (\__/)
> (= '.'=)
> (") _ (")

Andrew Baksh
www.birdingdude.blogspot.com

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 2:29 PM, Angus Wilson <oceanwanderers...> wrote:
>
> >12:05 pm. Still here today on the algae covered pond
>
> It's interesting that multiple reports from 30 June onwards are of a single bird when the original two birds were acting very much like a mated pair. Wood Ducks appear to be nesting close to this pond and I wonder if the second Whistling Duck might be occupying a nest of it's own somewhere nearby?
>
> There are no prior nesting records for New York State and observers should be especially diligent to avoid disturbance but at the same time keep an eye out for the 'missing' bird in surrounding trees or by watching to see if the continuing bird tries to visit a potential nest site or tree with a suitable cavity.
>
> Like Wood Duck, Black-bellied Wood Duck uses cavities or hollows in trees for nesting including artificial nest boxes.
>
> --
> Angus Wilson
> New York City
> --