Date: 7/5/18 7:24 am
From: Keith Arnold <kbarnold2...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Eurasian collared dove population crash?
An interesting summary, Clay. I recently reported 16 WWDOs to eBird from my daily yard report and received a query to confirm the number as “it was an unusually large number for the time of year” - I will report 18!
I rarely have more than 1-3 MODOs since the prominence of WODOs, whereas 6-8 MODOs was not uncommon. Likewise, 2 pr 2 pairs of INDOs were regular visitors before WEDOs; hearing one calling in the distance on two occasions excited me as they were (it was?) the first in over 2 years. As for EUCDs, I don’t think I seen more than single birds more than 2-3 times.
I am amazed at the variety of experiences reported in this series dialogues.

Keith

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 9:02 AM, Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor...> wrote:
>
> All -
>
> When I first started visiting Corpus Christi in 1999 / 2000, the only reliable spot to see them in the Calallen area was on Rt624 nor far from Hazel Bazemore Park. Joel Simon and I used the spot for Big Days, etc. If you went a mile in either direction from he spot, no ECDs.
>
> My house is about a mile and a half from that location, and in 2018 my yard is NEVER without ECDs and WWDOs. The largest single count I had for ECDs last winter was 43 at the feeders and perched on my roof. They are doing quite well, thank you, except for the ones that get picked off by the local wintering Cooper’s Hawks. My neighborhood has many well-fed Coops every winter. Hey, I’m feeding the birds, right?
>
> When I am putting out seed, the dove population is roughly 40% ECD, 30% WWDO, 20% Inca Doves, and 10% MODO. Rock Pigeons almost never land in the yard, and Common Ground Doves and White-tipped Doves are sporadic.
>
> Right now the Incas, WWDOs, and MODOs are nesting (again), but I have not yet seen an ECD nest in the yard.
>
> Clay Taylor
> TOS Life Member
> Swarovski Optik N.A.
> (Calallen) Corpus Christi, TX
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jul 4, 2018, at 5:54 PM, Keith Arnold <kbarnold2...> wrote:
>
>> In our area(B/CS), Eurasian Collare-Doves have never been numerous, but seem to have maintained their (low) at the locations where I usually expect to encounter them.
>> On the other hand, White-winged Doves have increased significantly with some effect on resident Mourning Doves, but more to the point, Inca Doves have practically disappeared.
>> Keith Armold
>> Bryan/TAMU
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Jul 4, 2018, at 5:31 PM, Devin Collins <donutposse1...> wrote:
>>
>> I started seeing Eurasian collared doves in Austin about 2-3 years ago, near pflugerville/round rock. Location is just south and west of IH-35 at SH-45 (Louis Henna). They were new to me, and interesting because I mentally went through the different dove species I had seen growing up in Houston, vs the doves I see in Austin, comparing. I haven’t noticed the number of collared doves either increase or decrease - it’s about the same at 1/10 doves I see around my office.

> [...]

Join us on Facebook!