Date: 7/4/18 8:16 pm
From: Clifford Cathers <cacathers...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] AZ:07/04/18:Scotia Canyon Huachuca Mountains
My son Austin and I took the day off for a photo safari and headed to
Scotia Canyon on the west side of the Huachuca Mountains early this
Independence Day holiday. It was a gorgeous day and although water was
scarce in the canyon, there were still pools here and there. All of the
water crossings are passable by car or on foot.

A SCALED QUAIL was roadside just south of Sonoita.

Even better, a gorgeous MONTEZUMA QUAIL was in the road just past Parker
Canyon Lake right before the turnoff to Scotia and Sunnyside Canyons.
Austin had his photography fun with this bird.

In the canyon proper, we had up to three ELEGANT TROGONs barking back and
forth most of the morning from opposing hillsides. They were quite
skittish, however, and our only glances were of a bird flying over the road
between the canyon walls.

Other birds of interest included ARIZONA WOODPECKERs, tons of WESTERN WOOD
PEWEEs, lots of BUFF-BREASTED FLYCATCHERs, lot of SULPHUR-BELLIED
FLYCATCHERs, HUTTON'S and PLUMBEOUS VIREOs, EASTERN BLUEBIRD, GRACE'S and
BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLERs, PAINTED REDSTARTs,, HOODED ORIOLE and
CASSIN'S KINGBIRDs, among others.

Clifford A. Cathers
<AZCliffy...>
Vail, AZ