Date: 7/4/18 3:54 pm
From: Keith Arnold <kbarnold2...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Eurasian collared dove population crash?
In our area(B/CS), Eurasian Collare-Doves have never been numerous, but seem to have maintained their (low) at the locations where I usually expect to encounter them.
On the other hand, White-winged Doves have increased significantly with some effect on resident Mourning Doves, but more to the point, Inca Doves have practically disappeared.
Keith Armold
Bryan/TAMU

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 4, 2018, at 5:31 PM, Devin Collins <donutposse1...> wrote:
>
> I started seeing Eurasian collared doves in Austin about 2-3 years ago, near pflugerville/round rock. Location is just south and west of IH-35 at SH-45 (Louis Henna). They were new to me, and interesting because I mentally went through the different dove species I had seen growing up in Houston, vs the doves I see in Austin, comparing. I haven’t noticed the number of collared doves either increase or decrease - it’s about the same at 1/10 doves I see around my office.
>
> In Houston, in the late 80s-early 90s, we didn’t have white wing doves at all, at least that me and my dad saw. I only saw WW doves for the first time after I moved to Austin in 2002. We did have mourning, inca, and rock doves (now rock pigeons). When I moved to Austin I noticed fewer mourning doves but tons of white wing doves, and about the same number of Inca doves (always one of my favorite birds to spot, in the yard or at the feeders). I mostly lived in Alief/Addicks, around Highway 6 and Alief Clodine or hwy6/westheimer area - but in 91-92 moved to Shepherd and Pinemont, farther north and west.
>
> I remember the cattle egrets too, always in the fields or even perched up on a cow itself, just hanging out
>
>> On Jul 4, 2018, at 10:32 AM, Brush Freeman <brushfreeman...> wrote:
>>
>> ….
>>
>> The same thing happened with Cattle Egrets after their peak population explosion in Texas in the mid-80's
>>
>>> On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 8:59 AM, Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36...> wrote:
>>> A couple of years ago I sort of noticed that there were not as many collared doves around the smith point area. Did not see them crossing the bay and places that had large numbers had fewer. Last summer there were fewer but Harvey had something to do with it but did start checking other spots. Numbers on Bolivar were down too as well as around the house.
>>>
>>> This summer actually went and censused.
>>>
>>> A few years ago I could see 10-15 male doves do their courtship flight over voss and westheimer when I stopped at the red light. This year I see none. The several pairs at the grocery store are gone except for one pair and none have come by the feeder.
>>>
>>> Numbers are down maybe 90% on bolivar based on general impressions rather than ticked off numbers.
>>>
>>> Had trouble finding more than single pairs at smith point Monday with none at some points that used to have lots
>>>
>>> This population drop has occurred over 3 summers in places where I go and sort of count birds every week or at least very often year round. So it is not just a local event.
>>>
>>> Has anyone noted similar trends elsewhere. Similar population drops have affected other invasive species after an initial great spurt in numbers as predators and parasites bring the newcomer into control.

> [...]

Join us on Facebook!