Date: 7/3/18 10:30 pm
From: Courtney Kelly Jett <ckjannabirds...>
Subject: [obol] Elk Lake BBS (Deschutes Co.), thanks to Jake Schas
Monday, July 2, 2018,
successfully completed the Elk Lake Breeding Bird Survey
— with Jake Schas as assistant — Jake driving route and filling out all paperwork for me, and made oatmeal cookies with fruit bits, yay! thanks!

Thanks so much Jake, for volunteering to help me out to run this route, I couldn’t (and wouldn’t) have done it without you.

Hope the “silly mouse” didn’t drive you nuts !!
Mouse squeaking, all our BBS, commenting upon our good working together, (silent only, if I held it by its tail), ate through Jake’s cookie bag!

*

Looking forward to my final 2018 BBS commitment, Davis Lake BBS, at end of week with Tim Shelmerdine, will be our first time meeting, thank you for helping me! (Also thank you to Evan, who also offered :-) )

May we all continue to enjoy birds this summer,
and good birding companionship,
Courtney Jett, Bend

******************************
eBird Checklist Summary for: Jul 2, 2018
Elk Lake BBS route—stops 1-50 (Rd 470, Cascade Lakes Hwy, Rd 40) [with 2010 modifications, stops 1-5]
— route completed in 5 hr 24 min., beginning 4:54am.
(We didn’t do a scouting trip. Some confusion start of route because spots 1-5 were rerouted in 2010.)
“0” mostly sunny clear sky, 47-67-degrees F, with winds 1-3.
Last 15 stops sometimes hearing more winds than birds.
Only a few mosquitos. No snow.

The Elk Lake BBS route tours from north shore of Elk Lake, south to Crane Prairie Reservoir along Cascade Lakes Highway, then east towards Sunriver,
in Deschutes Co.

Number of Species: 47

1 Sooty Grouse --
2 Pied-billed Grebe --
2 Great Blue Heron --
3 Turkey Vulture --
1 Bald Eagle --
1 Spotted Sandpiper --
2 Common Nighthawk --
1 hummingbird sp. --
3 sapsucker sp. --
14 Hairy Woodpecker --
1 Black-backed Woodpecker --
16 Northern Flicker --
20 Olive-sided Flycatcher --
26 Western Wood-Pewee --
2 Willow Flycatcher --
1 Hammond's Flycatcher --
4 Dusky Flycatcher --
2 Hammond's/Dusky Flycatcher --
4 Empidonax sp. --
1 flycatcher sp. (Tyrannidae sp.) --
4 Gray Jay --
8 Steller's Jay --
2 Clark's Nutcracker --
16 Common Raven --
13 Tree Swallow --
126 Mountain Chickadee -- fledglings heard
62 Red-breasted Nuthatch --
1 White-breasted Nuthatch (Interior West) --
2 Pygmy Nuthatch --
5 Brown Creeper --
11 Golden-crowned Kinglet --
6 Mountain Bluebird --
1 Townsend's Solitaire --
44 Hermit Thrush --
25 American Robin --
1 Varied Thrush --
2 Common Yellowthroat --
161 Yellow-rumped Warbler -- all seen, Audubon’s
1 Black-throated Gray/Townsend's Warbler -- prob BTGW song?
1 Townsend's/Hermit Warbler --
25 Chipping Sparrow --
85 Dark-eyed Junco --
3 Green-tailed Towhee --
10 sparrow sp. -- mostly “chuncos”
27 Western Tanager --
1 Red-winged Blackbird --
1 Brown-headed Cowbird --
13 Brewer's Blackbird --
3 Evening Grosbeak --
3 Cassin's Finch --
1 Purple/Cassin's Finch --
5 Red Crossbill --
13 Red Crossbill (Ponderosa Pine or type 2) --
15 Pine Siskin --
5 finch sp. -- mostly “caskins”
62 passerine sp. --

This trip summary was created using the eBird app for iPhone and iPad.
Note: these numbers are Courtney’s eBird reports tallied, and include some encounters between 3-min. counts;
these are NOT official BBS counts.

Courtney Kelly Jett, Bend Oregon
Sent from a phone that is all brevity, no wit
Sent from a phone low on wits, high on bits

Join us on Facebook!