Date: 7/3/18 1:48 pm
From: kjdillard <kjdillard...>
Subject: Re: Cheryl and Norman Lavers' "100 Insects..." book
Where can one purchase the book?Karyn DillardNew in the <neighborhoodFayettevillekjdillard...>

-------- Original message --------From: Norman Lavers <0000000a09e6b845-dmarc-request...> Date: 7/3/18 9:12 AM (GMT-06:00) To: <ARBIRD-L...> Subject: Re: Cheryl and Norman Lavers' "100 Insects..." book

Many thanks to you all for such kind words. It makes us so very happy to know that people are enjoying the book and putting it to use. Our hope is to get people to look more closely at insects because we have had (still have) so much pleasure observing and learning about them ourselves. All kudos for the writing and humor must go to Norman. I was able to supply half the photos, help a bit with editing and do the necessary computer stuff (I'm pretty incompetent at it but light-years ahead of Norman!), and I made all the p.b. sandwiches for our excursions!
If anyone feels like doing so then a review of the book on Amazon is apparently very helpful. Just don't mention you know us as that diminishes the value of the review.
Thanks again, we really appreciate hearing from you.
Cheryl (and Norman)"Chandelle" Jeff! I am definitely going to remember that word and slip it into an insect description some time.

On Monday, July 2, 2018, 3:58:18 PM CDT, Ann Gordon <chesterann...> wrote:

I second everything that Janine had to say.  I absolutely love this book.  It is truly like taking a walk with Norman and Cheryl and I heard their voices as I read it.  I purchased a copy for myself and another for my great-granddaughter.  Highly recommend!!

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 2:49 PM, Janine Perlman <jpandjf...> wrote:

This is an overdue post in unreserved praise of a most wonderful
book,
http://www.etaliapress.com/ new-products/100-insects-of- arkansas-and-the-midsouth- portraits-stories.

The two hours it took me to savor it cover to cover were some of the
most enjoyable and compelling reading I can recall.  For those who
haven't yet read it, Norman and Cheryl have chosen representative
species from nine insect orders, and offer "portraits and stories"
of each.  The portraits are photographic and verbal, which, merging
with the stories, are riveting narratives that variously include
habitat, anatomy, life history, habits, reproduction, food,
behavior, parasites, and defenses against predators---a glimpse of
each species' niche in the larger ecology that is home to all of
us.

Better informed thanks to the book, I'm noticing with new eyes and
more interest the insects I encounter every day.  The species
described in "100 Insects..." are generally representative of many
related ones also found in Arkansas, and I expect to continue to
regularly use the book as a reference.

The stories are not merely fascinating and brimming with the
Laverses' quiet passion for their subjects; they are also peppered
with sly, gentle, often self-effacing humor.  The reader ends up
with much affection, gratitude and admiration, for both the insects
and the authors.

-Janine

Join us on Facebook!