Date: 7/3/18 12:33 am
From: Vaughn Rhoden <vrhoden...>
Subject: [Tweeters] House finches at my house
For the last few weeks I have had more House Finches at my place in
Vancouver since, well, forever.

I have seen as many as a dozen in the trees in my yard. They are quite tame.
They will come sit on the railing of our deck and check us out while we are
sitting out there.

They have been hammering our sunflower feeder. They leave the thistle to the
Goldfinches.

I don't know if food is otherwise scarce or what.

There seem to be more females than males but there is one really nice male
with cardinal red on his head and breast.

It's been a pretty birdy late spring/early summer. In the last week we have
had Am and Lesser Goldfinch, House Finch, Steller's Jay, our resident
Anna's, Red Breasted Nutcracker, a resident Towhee, Robins, Bushtits, very
vocal Crows, song sparrow and what I believe was a peregrine falcon. It was
high over the neighborhood and giving a rapid up-slurred call, and would
kite like a kestrel, but it seemed to be considerably larger than a kestrel.
It was gone before I could retrieve my binoculars.