Date: 7/2/18 11:23 am
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Eugene CATBIRD?
I have long felt the Catbird breeding range in Oregon was constricted by 100 years of overgrazing. Riparian vegetation was the biggest victim, and with it the Sharp-tailed Grouse. Improvement of riparian sones began slowly in the thirties and accelerated in the last decades of the 20th century. I may have missed 10 or 12 Catbirds last Saturday along the Grande Ronde , dismissing them for Black-headed Grosbeaks(hey, a lot things sound different that far from home—even the Cowbirds sound different in Union County). Then Sunday morning at dawn I had the good fortune of spending two hours in half a square mile of thorn scrub right outside the metropolis of La Grande. There I finally realized that I’d been hearing Catbirds, and saw several as they flew across the cat track I was walking on. So in addition to riparian habitats, they nest in these upland thickets. Pay attention as you climb I-84 up from Pendleton, there’s a vast belt of Douglas hawthorne, serviceberry, chokecherry, etc..
Presumably a similar improvement of habitat on public lands has occurred to the east in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming, where Brown Thrashers also nest. It seems like winter records of that species are on the rise in Oregon. I’m suggesting that some tipping