Date: 6/30/18 7:52 pm
From: janna pauser <jannapauser...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Santa Clara Valley Water District 6-30-18
I birded for an hour at the water district headquarters on Almaden
Expressway this morning.
There were 3 each family groups of PIED BILLED GREBE and AM. COOT here
or on the Guadalupe River. An adult SPOTTED SANDPIPER was seen on the
far river bank from the south end of the property and two more on the
spillway to the north. I was looking into the sun the the water shimmer
made it impossible to see if these two SPSA were adults.

An adult GREEN HERON flew towards Almaden Lake and an immature GREAT
BLUE HERON was hunting along the river. A dark rail flew up from the
cattails but stayed hidden. It appeared to be a Common Gallinule in
basic plumage. WHITE THROATED SWIFTS were seen overhead along with CLIFF
and NO. ROUGH WINGED SWALLOWS. A BELTED KINGFISHER rattled by and a
PEREGRINE FALCON was perched atop a Sycamore tree at the front of the
property.

We had a very young cowbird in the yard the other night that appeared to
have lost its host. The Cal. Towhee's and other birds ignored it as it
hopped about and called. Then a HOODED ORIOLE called and it flew off
towards the call.

Janna Pauser
San Jose