Date: 6/29/18 6:49 pm
From: Dave Nutter <nutter.dave...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Orchard Oriole nest, Cass Park, Ithaca
In Cass Park there’s an Orchard Oriole nest being visited by both a female and an ASY (brown & black) male this evening. I assume this means there are nestlings in it.

The nest is about 2 feet from the highest point of a young Sycamore tree growing along the bank of Cayuga Inlet at the SE corner of a grassy area containing a few remnant ancient Willows, and it’s just north of a small but heavily vegetated stream which passes through a culvert under the bike path. That’s south of the Coach’s Crossing bridge and the 4-sided birding kiosk. My guess of its coordinates on Google Maps is:
42.45084, -76.51153.

Anyway, if anyone wants to see Orchard Orioles in Ithaca here’s an opportunity. I watched with binoculars from the paved path, and had several brief views as individual parents came & went different directions to & from it. I don’t know if staring from closer would disturb them, but I urge people to be aware and considerate of them while viewing.

- - Dave Nutter

ARCHIVES:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/