Date: 6/29/18 1:14 pm
From: Steve Walter <swalter15...>
Subject: RE: [nysbirds-l] Roseate Tern Banding and Aging Follow Up
Thanks, Bob. I started wondering about the number that were banded. Actually, it’s 2016 that I’m wondering about, given the wide range in the codes on the bands. And I don’t expect the 2017 birds to be here until next year.

I received the information on J03 and J76. As I expected, they were banded as chicks in 2016. The certificate actually gives “New York, USA” as the banding location, but we know it’s Great Gull Island. I guess New York has more meaning, should the birds be sighted on the wintering grounds or whatever.

This is actually getting interesting, so I went out today to see what’s next. Today at Nickerson, there were 3 Roseates – banded birds H99 and J14, along with an unbanded one (yeah, one for the photographer side of me). All were in full adult plumage. So that makes 8 different individuals in my last three trips. Shai has told us of the daily turnover in Arctic Tern individuals, based on close examination of plumages. It’s so much easier with bands on the Roseates – and it’s looking like constant turnover in them, as well.

Granted, it’s a small sample size, covering only the second half of June (when I started noticing the blue bands). But I’m starting to see a picture emerging that shows the loafing Roseate Terns on Long Island as nomadic two year olds. And most of them look like adults, which we wouldn’t suspect as two years olds without the bands. If in fact that turns out to be the case, it could be expected that the number of loafing Roseates that are found correlates to the breeding success two years earlier. Of course, more people looking helps. And I should point out that patience helps. Pat Aiken and I staked out the area in front of the east Common tern colony for much of the morning. It was maybe an hour in (for me) that J14 arrived, and another hour or so until H99 and the unbanded one showed up.

One last thing for now. Why did I only begin noticing the blue bands last week? I went back and checked my whole picture collection. Historically, the bands have been metallic – which are nearly unreadable in the field. So I focused on finding unbanded birds for pretty pictures. But it turns out that I photographed two birds with blue bands last year. One was at Nickerson – in the fenced off, sometimes wet, area. That puts some distance between you and the bird. And a dark blue band, with light reflecting off it, can look silvery. The second one was at Cupsogue, with the band partially immersed in water. In contrast, the loafing terns at Nickerson this year have been mostly on the beach, where they’re front and center, and the bands are noticeable and readable. I might yet be able to decipher last year’s band codes. I do know that both begin with “R”, so that should tell something – which I expect will turn out to be 2015 hatchlings. Enough for now.

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY