Date: 6/28/18 12:09 pm
From: Keith Arnold <kbarnold2...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Red Phase E. Screech Owl??
Red morph/phases of the Eastern Screech-Owl are certainly not common, but
we have a number of specimens in our collections. Fred Gehlbach once
thought that this morph [my preference - I don't like the term form]
occurred only in females, but we have red male specimens as well.

Keith Arnold
Bryan/BRTC,,TAMU

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 1:45 PM Kleb Woods (Commissioner Pct. 3) <
<KlebWoods...> wrote:

> We have a rufous morph Eastern Screech-Owl that has used the same nest box
> for the last 3+ years at Kleb Woods Nature Center in Harris County. We saw
> downy chicks two years but couldn’t tell what color they would end up.
> However, that doesn’t really speak to how common they are, as that is the
> only rufous morph Eastern Screech-Owl I have seen.
>

> On a side note (and this is definitely going down a rabbit hole, so feel
> free to ignore if it doesn’t interest you), I have always used the word
> “morph” when describing these color variations, but I know many use the
> term “phase” or “form”. I tried looking into it to see if one was more
> proper or preferred, but it appears to be more controversial than I
> thought! Does anybody here have thoughts on this? I always find these kinds
> of discussions enlightening. Also, while looking into this, I learned a new
> word: orismology. That is definitely going to be part of my vocabulary now!
>

> Kendra Kocab, Naturalist
>
> Kleb Woods Nature Center
>
> 281-357-5324
>

> Harris County Precinct 3