Date: 6/28/18 8:02 am
From: Bill Bousman <barlowi...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Duck ID help
Dear Romain,

Kevin McGowan at Cornell
<http://www.birds.cornell.edu/crows/domducks.htm> provides a nice
discussion of the variety of strange or unusual ducks that can be found,
mostly some variant of domestic ducks derived from Mallards.  In my
experience in the South Bay, the most common of these is the "bibbed"
Mallard.  The males are often encountered and are largely dark with a
white throat and breast. They are similar to a male Mallard in size and
have the curled tail feathers.  Females that are paired with "bibbed"
mallards often appear to be typical in plumage with a regular mallard,
but some are darker as with your bird.  For what it's worth, the
recirculation channels at the WPCP seem to be a population center for
"bibbed" Mallards.

Bill Bousman
Menlo Park