Date: 6/27/18 5:06 pm
From: Pamela Johnston <shovzan...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Camp Robbers
My husband and I used to ski cross country in the Mt Hood NF and came
across the Jays wherever people skied the trails. My husband once lost a
big PB and J sandwich to a Gray Jay. It was so heavy the bird sagged deeply
in the air between wingbeats. Fortunately he had made a second sandwich.

In fact the first time I saw these birds they were cleaning up the table at
a campsite I had walked away from.

There is a book titled something like Writings of American Women
Birdwatchers that gives an account of a desperado who puts a basin over his
face as he lies in a cabin expecting to die of his gunshot wounds. Why? So
the "meat birds" wouldn't peck his face. Another term for GRJA, this one
from Maine.

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018, 2:04 PM Alan Contreras <acontrer56...> wrote:

> Camp robber may sound undignified for these lovely birds but one grabbed
> part of a sandwich two inches from my hand and flew off with it, so I think
> that qualifies.
>

> Alan Contreras
> <acontrer56...>
> Eugene, Oregon
>
> www.alanlcontreras.com
>

> On Jun 27, 2018, at 2:00 PM, Roy Gerig <roygerig...> wrote:
>
> This has been an interesting subject, Gray Jay, Whiskey Jack. I hunted
> deer and elk a lot with Dad at higher elevations in my growing up years
> which I didn't make until now, maybe
>
> In our hunting camps, I remember it was Clark's Nutcracker was the Camp
> Robber. Maybe just they seemed more obvious about things like breaking
> into the Corn Flakes box you left out than the soft spoken and looking Gray
> Jay.
>
> I heard Whiskey Jack for Gray Jay once or twice as I remember it
>
> Roy Gerig Salem OR

Join us on Facebook!