Date: 6/27/18 2:22 pm
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Plum Island (Parker River NWR) - 06-27-2018
David Moon and I led today's Wednesday Morning Birding program out of

Joppa Flats Education Center on to Plum Island in search of one of Tom's
Seaside Sparrows.  We had cloudy skies, temps in the low to high 70s,
and winds SW/5-15 mph.

Our list:
Canada Goose - common.
Gadwall (1) - Bill Forward Pool.
American Black Duck (1) - main panne marsh.
Mallard - common (mostly BFP).
Green-winged Teal (2) - North Pool from Hellcat dike.
Wild Turkey (1)
Double-crested Cormorant (~ 30)
Great Blue Heron (1) - BFP.
Great Egret (~ 15) - various.
Snowy Egret (~ 35) - various.
Glossy Ibis ( ~ 25) - small flocks flying here and there.
Osprey (2) - Pines platform.
[Bald Eagle (1) - immature flyover, PI Tpk, w. PI bridge.]
Black-bellied Plover (~ 30) - BFP.
Killdeer (2) - 1, pannes; 1, BFP.
Spotted Sandpiper (1) - Stage Island Pool.
Greater Yellowlegs (4) - 2, SIP; 2, BFP.
Willet - common.
Lesser Yellowlegs (1) - BFP.
Semipalmated Sandpiper (1) - BFP.
White-rumped Sandpiper (1) - SIP.
Herring Gull - common.
Great Black-backed Gull (5) -SIP.
Least Tern (~ 12) - pannes & SIP.
Common Tern (3) - SIP.
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove (~5)
Eastern Kingbird - common.
Blue Jay (1)
Purple Martin (~ 10) - lot #1.
Tree Swallow (~ 20) - pannes.
Barn Swallow (1) - pannes.
American Robin (1)
Gray Catbird (~ 5) - roadside.
Brown Thrasher (1) - S-curves.
European Starling - common.
Cedar Waxwing - common.
Common Yellowthroat (~ 7) - various.
American Redstart (1) - Goodno Woods.
Yellow Warbler (3)
Eastern Towhee (~ 5)
Savannah Sparrow (3) - pannes marsh, s. lot #3.
Saltmarsh Sparrow(~ 10) - pannes marsh, s. lot #3.
Seaside Sparrow (1) - pannes marsh, s. lot #3.  Many thanks to Tom for
his precise directions to the most accommodating Seaside you could hope
for.  And, thanks to Doug for actually pointing out the bird.  We were
on the bird around 10:15 - remained perched on its grass clump for an
extended time and was singing.
Song Sparrow (~ 5)
Bobolink(~ 6) - North Field & The Warden's field.
Red-winged Blackbird - common.
Common Grackle (~ 7)
Orchard Oriole (1) - pannes marsh, s. lot #3.
Purple Finch (2) - 1, New Pines; 1, Hellcat parking lot.
House Sparrow

Wednesday Morning Birding takes a break during the month of July. We'll
resume on August 1 at Joppa Flats at 09:30. For more information about
Joppa Flats programs, call David Moon or Dave Larson at 978-462-9998.

Dave Weaver
Manchester, MA 01944
<cygnus-dkw...>