Date: 6/25/18 10:39 am
From: Eric Carpenter <ecarpe...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Budgerigar eBird Submissions
It's a shame that folks are turned off of eBird because of their policy of
escaped/exotics. Cornell has recognized that they do yet have a perfect
solution so there could be a change to how such birds show up in the future
(on maps, etc). Invalidated records are still in the database and we can
always go back to them if/when the policy/designation changes on these.

Despite what Fred hints at, pretty much none of what reviewers should be
validating/invalidating is driven by a particular's reviewers desire to
have something on or not on his/her list. Cornell has published guidelines
for reviewers on most species, including domestics and exotics, though
there is some leeway with some exotics at a local-level. Cornell has
changed their policy over the years but for (Domestic) or (Domestic type)
birds, for the most part these *should* be validated if there is the
general idea that they are free-flying or very likely to be free-flying.
This is sometimes a tough determination to make as you can guess,
especially given what is usually not any lengthy notes from the observer.

Going back to Budgies not being validated, I suspect there are several
"Budgerigar (Domestic type)" that could be validated as some are probably
arguably "free-flying", at least for the couple of days/week that they
remain alive. However, I still don't think that "Budgerigar" should be
validated without at least a good photo. In looking at the TX "Budgerigar"
entries that have photos, every single one that I have seen is clearly of a
domestic phenotype and should be entered as "Budgerigar (Domestic type)".
Once changed to the proper designation, some of these very well could be
validated. Again, this is mostly an education thing, and one based on
eBird's definition of what the "domestic" tag means, not what you or I
might think or want it to mean.

Exotics are a different topic than Domestic-tagged entries. Cornell has
set some guidelines for this and they have gotten input from Texas folks
regarding the state of some exotics. This is why you may see different
areas where exotics are established or quasi-established and thus those
records are being validated (they show up on maps). For exotics where
there is no guidance, this is left up to the reviewer(s) to decide and that
decision is usually based on how often/how many such birds/populations are
being seen. This of course is ever-changing and if 5 years from now exotic
species X becomes a candidate to watch for local establishment, it may move
to the validate-it list and old records (if entered) would likely be
validated as well.

--Eric

Eric Carpenter
Texas state-wise eBird reviewer