Date: 6/25/18 10:37 am
From: David Provencher via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Northern Parulas in CT
Interesting indeed Angela! As you know, Northern Parula has a somewhat
disjunct breeding range and Connecticut has not been part of it. There has
been a limited history of breeding in nearby Rhode Island, most notably the
Great Swamp area where I myself have observed nesting in the late 1990's. I
don't know what is known about nesting there in subsequent years but eBird
doesn't seem to have any recent confirmation, that I noticed anyway. Dylan
Pedro pointed out an eBird report from Burlingame State Park of "carrying
food," and that is considered nesting confirmation, though no subsequent
report of a nest or fledglings appears to have been entered in eBird. Shai
Mitra observed only singing males there but refers to the area as a "known
station."

Historically Southern New England has been Parula breeding poor, CT very
much so. Quite a few reports exist of early to mid June males singing in
southern New England with some persisting into July, and habitat they
prefer for nesting does exist in many areas with "Old Man's Bear" lichen.
(Fun fact, Old Man's Beard, or Usnea, is stretchable unlike other lichens.
Wonder if this is why Parula's use it?) However Northern Parula isn't the
easiest species to confirm as a nester since they are pretty much canopy
denizens. Having spent a great deal of time lately staring high into forest
canopies with resultant neck stiffness/pain, I'm of a mind to replace the
phrase "warbler neck" with "Bird Atlas neck"! I will be staring into
canopies quite a bit more this weekend. Thank goodness some species nest on
the ground...

Dave Provencher
Preston