Date: 6/25/18 9:03 am
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Chuck-Will's-Widow tips?
Thanks to Frank Lehman for the following.  His email is below if you
wish to contact him directly.

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA
<barb620...>

*

From: Frank Lehman <frank.lehman...>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 11:39:04 -0400
Subject: Chuck-Will's-Widow tips?

Dear list,

I was thinking of making a little trip to hear one of the
Chuck-Will's-Widows that seem to be reliable residents of a few select
places in Plymouth and Barnstable. It'd be a lifer for me, MA and
otherwise. I wonder if anyone who has had luck hearing this bird could
provide any tips for maximizing the chances of a successful encounter. In
particular, I'm curious about

*Ideal time of day. Dusk? Dawn?
*Ideal weather?
*Ideal time of year? Is it too late?
*Ideal moon-phase -- does this really matter for goatsuckers?

Also, for the Plymouth location, near Lynne Circle, is there a good place
to park, and is it safe and/or legal to walk around the powerline corridor
in search of this species?

Thanks in advance. Now I just need to explain to my wife why I'm willing to
make a long nighttime drive just for the chance to hear a distant sound!

Thanks,
Frank

--
Frank Lehman,
Assistant Professor of Music, Tufts University

Join us on Facebook!