Date: 6/24/18 8:53 pm
From: Matt Bartels <mattxyz...>
Subject: [Tweeters] More on today's Eastern Phoebe [in Wahkiakum County]
Hi all-
A little more on the Eastern Phoebe today.
I didn’t realize you could access the Center Road Trail at JBH from more than one place — I started from the west side [the entrance you reach when coming in from Skamokawa, no the HQ side. I walked the trail ~4/10 of a mile and the Phoebe was moving from fence posts to the isolated trees along the trail side.

After posting, I got my scope and digiscope attachment from my car with hopes of getting better photos for the documentation — alas, no luck relocating the bird in another hour of looking.
That trail covers a lot of open area with lots of fence line, so I’d bet the Phoebe is still out there somewhere.

With the caveat that these are all just handheld phone shots, here is a link to a folder with a couple videos and photos — blow the photos up and you can pretty much see the bird…. and one has a decent recording of vocalizations —

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b4pob3ad06h1hfi/AAAaSTeNOwTLkzw9TFYa3GQga?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b4pob3ad06h1hfi/AAAaSTeNOwTLkzw9TFYa3GQga?dl=0>

Hope the bird cooperates for others to get a look at — It vocalized only for a short time — perhaps earlier in the day it would be more cooperative?

Pending approval, this would be the 13th for the state - 3rd for Western WA, and the first summer record west of the mountains [the two previous westside records were both in December]. In contrast, nine of the ten Eastern WA records fall between May 21 and July 3 — consistent with this time particular bird.

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA