Date: 6/23/18 11:13 am
From: Ryan Maclean via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Extralimital: PA Black-Backed Oriole record ACCEPTED
Thought some of you would be interested to know that last year's
Black-Backed Oriole which was seen in PA, CT and MA has been officially
accepted by the PA Ornithological Records Committee. As many of you know,
the bird was visiting a feeder in Sinking Springs PA for several weeks in
February and was seen briefly in Stamford CT by only two observers in May.
Afterwards it wound up at a feeder in MA but was rejected by the MA Records
Committee as a natural vagrant. The PA committee however voted to accept it
6 to 1 and has released a statement regarding their research and decision
which you can read below:
http://birding.aba.org/message.php?mesid=1446900&MLID=PA01&MLNM=Pennsylvania

As far as I know, the CT Records Committee has yet to vote on the Stamford
sighting and the American Birding Association still has not voted on its
acceptance to the ABA checklist. I'd be curious to know if there are plans
to vote on the CT record soon but I'm sure much discussion has been had
already. Nonetheless this is a big advancement in the status of this record
and I know a lot of us who drove to see it in PA are probably excited by
this news.

Now the ball is in our state's court.

-Ryan MacLean
Audubon Greenwich