Date: 6/23/18 8:48 am
From: Joe Fischer <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender fischer13 for DMARC)
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Budgeriar eBird Submissions
Thanks for the info. We learn something everyday. There was clearly some info sent out the Indian Peafowl a couple of years ago, but basis this definition it probably did not warrant flagging them as domestic.

Glad to see that Ron is elated to have added to his eBird list.

Joe Fischer
Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 23, 2018, at 9:35 AM, Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36...> wrote:
>
> All of my nesting birds were the green phenotype? identical to the wild Australian birds as were the colony on the florida west coast. I have had both the yellow and blue variants at my feeders. Once a blue bird tried to join the nesting birds but was driven off.
>
> Petco was the source of all the budgies back then. They were kept in an open pen out on the floor near the door so kids could reach in and have a bird sit on their finger. They all could fly and could get out of the cage and then out the door. Health code concerns had them caged and then no new escapees.
>

>> On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 9:11 AM, Eric Carpenter <ecarpe...> wrote:
>> Joe,
>>
>> This is a confusing topic for lots of folks. The use of "domestic" in the eBird taxonomy is tied to distinctive phenotypes, and not necessarily birds that aren't actually wild. There is a whole paragraph (search for "Domestics") on the following eBird webpage that goes over this:
>>
>> https://help.ebird.org/customer/portal/articles/1006825-the-ebird-taxonomy
>>
>> I'm sure many/most (all?) Budgerigars that are in pet stores are phenotypically different than wild ones but I can also imagine that there could be a couple here and there that look pretty close plumage/color-wise to wild birds where "Budgerigar" is the correct choice over "Budgerigar (Domestic type)".
>>
>> The main part of that is just education, for both reviewers and eBird users, in knowing/remembering that 1) there is a "(Domestic type)" option for a given species and 2) that this only to be used for birds that are phenotypically distinct. I can't say its a huge problem though. In 2018 for Texas, there have been 51 submissions for "Budgerigar (Domestic type)" and 6 for "Budgerigar", and none of the non-domestic types have been validated.
>>
>> --Eric
>>
>> Eric Carpenter
>> Austin, TX
>>

>>> On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 8:07 AM Joe and Renee Fischer <dmarc-noreply...> wrote:
>>> Why do Texas birders continue to submit Budgeriar to eBird when there is a Budgeriar (Domestic) option in eBird? Certainly no one believes these are wild at this point. A bit surprised that the eBird reviewers have not corrected. I am certainly in favor of submitting everything that is seen. However, some species do have a domestic option and that would appear to be the correct option. We went through this with the Indian Peafowl a couple of years back.
>>>
>>> Joe Fischer
>>> Friendswood, TX
>>> http://www.pbase.com/joe_e_fischer
>>

>> --