Date: 6/22/18 8:50 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Re: WHY should Oregon birders organize?
Alan,

I understand that this has long been the mind-set. But if eBird is
tracking county/state listing records, and local Audubons are also
running field trips that provide opportunities for social interaction
among birders, what's the role for a statewide birding organization? I
don't know the answer to this question, just raising it.

Joel

On Fri, 2018-06-22 at 20:37 -0700, Alan Contreras wrote:

> I have always considered the Audubon chapters to be the primary outlets for the conservation energy of birders while groups like OBA served our more recreational impulses.
>
> Alan Contreras
> Eugene, Oregon
>
> <acontrer56...>
>
> www.alanlcontreras.com
>

> > On Jun 22, 2018, at 8:10 PM, Joel Geier <joel.geier...> wrote:
> >
> > Now that we've thoroughly discussed the "HOW" end of this question, I
> > thought I'd put the "WHY" question out there. Perhaps these issues are
> > more fundamental.
> >
> > What should be the goals and purpose of a statewide birding
> > organization?
> >
> > The discussion on OBOL so far has mainly stressed the social aspects.
> > Caleb's post on this was certainly eloquent. A few have also mentioned
> > scientific angles.
> >
> > I agree, these things are important. But I'm disappointed that no one
> > mentioned bird conservation.
> >
> > Just speaking for myself, personally, I see no point in putting energy
> > into an organization that doesn't put bird conservation front and
> > center.
> >
> > This recent article from High Country News provides an interesting and
> > sobering perspective on outdoor recreation in general. Although
> > "birdwatching" gets a favorable mention, I wonder if "birding" as it's
> > practiced nowadays really fits into the preconceptions of the author.
> >
> > https://www.hcn.org/issues/50.8/recreation-your-stoke-wont-save-us
> >
> > Bottom line, we need to be putting some energy back into the resource
> > that we all enjoy. What organization is doing that for birders in
> > Oregon?
> >
> > --
> > Joel Geier
> > Camp Adair area north of Corvallis