Date: 6/21/18 6:41 pm
From: David Arbour <arbour...>
Subject: Red Slough Bird Survey - June 21
It started off overcast and calm but turned partly cloudy and windy on the
bird survey today. 66 species were found. We got 3.5 inches of rain
yesterday which greatly relieved the serious drought we were in. Lots of
young out now. Lots of Anhinga young in the nests in the heronry as well as
at least two Neotropic Cormorant nests with young. Have not noticed any
Cattle Egret young yet but lots of birds sitting on nests. Saw several
broods of Common Gallinule young, some with up to a dozen tiny newly hatched
chicks. Saw a few Pied-billed Grebe young as well. Here is my list for
today:

Black-bellied Whistling Duck - 9

Wood Duck - 20

Gadwall - 1 male

Hooded Merganser - 9 (full sized and able to fly, Hatch Year birds.)

Pied-billed Grebe - 5

Neotropic Cormorant - 8 adults (Two nests now contain young.)

Anhinga - 65 adults (Lots of young in nests now.)

Great-blue Heron - 11

Great Egret - 27

Snowy Egret - 52

Little-blue Heron - 79