Date: 6/21/18 4:58 pm
From: <birdmt...> [MOB-Montana] <MOB-Montana...>
Subject: [MOB-Montana] Warm Springs WMA Survey 06.21.18

WARM SPRINGS WMA REPORT – June 21, 2018

This is the fifteenth count for the 2018 season. Temperatures ranged
from 55 F to 68 F with cloudy skies and light rain.

Total species for the year at last count was 128. I added one today,
Golden-crowned Kinglet. Total for the year is now 129 species.

Total individuals counted today were 1,221 in 64 species. Last count
there were 1,471 in 58 species. There were 15 species of waterfowl.

I did my first brood survey today and found 15 broods in 5 species.
Three broods were Class 1, 7 were class 2, and 5 were class 3 broods.

SHOREBIRDS AND WADERS:

Spotted Sandpiper - 1, and Wilson’s Phalaropes - 2. All of the ARCO
Ponds are completely full and there is no shorebird habitat. The roads
to the Job Corps Ponds and the Ducks Unlimited ponds remain closed due
to flooding.

BIRDS OF INTEREST:

06.21.18 REPORT – Today I found two chicks in the nest that are
fairly well developed. Hopefully, predation by Great Horned Owls does
not take place as it has in the past. This is the only nest in Western
Montana.

06.14-18 REPORT The Black-crowned Night-Heron is still on the nest
and has been now for about 37 days. Incubation is 26 days and nesting
is 30. I have not seen chicks, doesn’t look good for a successful
nest. The male was with the female at the nest.

SUMMARY:

ARCO PONDS

62 species, and 1,021 individuals. This made up 86% of the total
birds.

SEWAGE PONDS

15 species, and 200 individuals. This made up 14% of the total
birds.

JOB CORPS PONDS

No survey due to flood waters.

DUCKS UNLIMITED PONDS