Date: 6/21/18 8:18 am
From: Jane Stein <jeshawks...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Fireflies, not birds
I sure have noticed!

Thanks for bringing this up! I was beginning to wonder whether
something had delayed or suppressed them, but I hadn't made note of when
they usually appear in past years, and the weather has been so very
weird this spring, my sense of the timing for natural phenomena like
this has been upended.

I spent most of my childhood in Manhattan and only saw them on
occasional weekend visits to family friends with country places, so
never had the chance to run around catching them until I got much older
and far too dignified for such antics!

(I remember an awesome display a number of years ago, maybe 7 or 8 or
so, when the density of flashing fireflies was heavier than I've ever
seen them. Was that widespread, and does anybody else remember when
that was? I didn't go outside to mingle with them closely because it
was so dense, I was actually a bit intimidated, so I just spent hours
with my nose pressed to the window.)

Jane
(Shoreham)

On 6/21/2018 10:47 AM, Ruth Stewart wrote:
> I'm sure most of you have been noticing fireflies these past few nights. Doesn't it remind you of childhood days catching them? Check the link below to watch, count and contribute to data collection.
>

> Ruth Stewart
>

> https://www.massaudubon.org/get-involved/citizen-science/firefly-watch?utm_source=june2018&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=explorations
>

> Ruth Stewart
> E. Dorset, VT