Date: 6/20/18 6:46 pm
From: spbroker via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] School's Out For Summer
For many birders, the current season is a time of completion of an academic year or fiscal year work commitments and greater opportunity for hours spent in the field connecting with the natural world. Also, June, July, and August vacations are beckoning. In the past few weeks, hundreds of volunteers have begun field work in pursuit of breeding evidence for our state’s avifauna. The Connecticut Ornithological Association is pleased to have joined with other natural history organizations in support of our new Connecticut Bird Atlas. We are grateful for the opportunity to have helped launch the Atlas website, and we fully expect to continue our support for the Connecticut Bird Atlas over the next years.

The Connecticut Ornithological Association is the only statewide organization dedicated specifically to Connecticut’s birds, birders, and birding. COA has served for nearly four decades as the bridge connecting professional ornithologists and conservation biologists with amateur naturalists and dedicated field observers and backyard birders. Our organization is made strong by its 500 members.

We publish The Connecticut Warbler (the state journal of ornithology) and the COA Bulletin, and we maintain our own website (ctbirding.org) to communicate the latest sightings of common, uncommon, and rare birds in Connecticut. The COA Calendar offers a comprehensive list of birding events by bird clubs, Audubon societies, and other natural history groups around the state. Our Avian Records Committee of Connecticut maintains the official list of state birds and regularly publishes reports on rare bird sightings.

COA Workshops organized through the year provide great opportunities for improving one’s birding skills and at the same time bringing together an expansive group of like-minded birders. The COA Annual Meeting held in March is the highlight of the year, featuring outstanding speakers, a birding marketplace, the COA raffle, and the awarding of a few thousand dollars in mini-grants. We have an active research committee addressing important issues related to birds in Connecticut’s terrestrial and aquatic environments. We also lend support to essential state and national conservation efforts and to state and regional wildlife refuges.

If you benefit from this website and are not yet a member of the Connecticut Ornithological Association, we encourage you to take out a membership. Take a look at our mission and see how it reflects your interests. Share with others your passion for birds and your own experiences with our feathered friends. Help us become an even stronger organization through your participation.

COA vice-president Chris Loscalzo and the officers and board of COA join me in wishing you Good Birding!

Steve Broker (Cheshire)
President, Connecticut Ornithological Association