Date: 6/20/18 12:43 pm
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Plum Island (Parker River NWR) - 06-20-2018
Dave Larson joined me this week leading Wednesday Morning Birding out of

Joppa Flats Education Center on to Plum Island.  It was a lovely day to
be there -- partly cloudy (with a couple of beautiful "sun dogs" thrown
in for good measure), temps in the mid to upper 70s, and winds SW/0-5
mph.  Understandably, not much bird song remaining, but there were a few
birds to be had.

Our list:
Canada Goose - common (many youngsters on Bill Forward Pool).
Gadwall (2) - from Hellcat dike, 1, BFP & 1, North Pool.
Mallard - common.
Green-winged Teal (3) - pr., sm. pannes; 1, NP.
Wild Turkey (2) - hens; roadside, BFP blind.
Double-crested Cormorant - common.
Great Blue Heron (1)
Great Egret (~ 6) - various.
Snowy Egret (~ 7) - various.
Turkey Vulture (6) - most n. of refuge gate.
Osprey (7) - 2, boat ramp nesting platform; 5, Pines nesting platform -
2 ads, 3 young in nest.
Black-bellied Plover (1) - BFP.
Killdeer (5) - various.
Willet - common.
Ring-billed Gull (1) - BFP.
Herring Gull - common.
Great Black-backed Gull (1)
Least Tern (3) - pannes.
Rock Pigeon
Eastern Kingbird - common.
Red-eyed Vireo (1) - Goodno Woods.
Blue Jay (5)
American Crow (3)
Purple Martin (~ 12)
Tree Swallow (2)
Barn Swallow (5) - vicinity of The Warden's.
American Robin (4)
Gray Catbird (~ 10) - roadside, up & down refuge road.
Northern Mockingbird (1) - vicinity of lot #1.
Brown Thrasher (2) - 1, lot #1; 1, Hellcat.
European Starling - common; already flocks of juvs.
Cedar Waxwing - common.
Common Yellowthroat (3) - heard.
Yellow Warbler (~ 8) - various.
Pine Warbler (1) - heard and seen; Pines Trail.
Eastern Towhee - common.
Saltmarsh Sparrow (~ 5) - various.
Song Sparrow (~ 5) - various.
Northern Cardinal (2)
Bobolink - common.
Red-winged Blackbird - common.
Common Grackle (~ 15)
Brown-headed Cowbird (2)
Baltimore Oriole (1) - Hellcat.
Purple Finch (~ 5) - Hellcat & Pines Trail.
American Goldfinch (4)
House Sparrow

We will meet again next week back at Joppa Flats at 0930 for Wednesday
Morning Birding. For more information about Joppa Flats programs, call
David Moon or Dave Larson at 978-462-9998.

Dave Weaver
Manchester, MA 01944
<cygnus-dkw...>

Join us on Facebook!