Date: 6/19/18 7:18 pm
From: Alison Wagner <alikatofvt...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Ovenbird at dusk
Hello Fellow Birders,

For several evenings, I have been hearing the Ovenbird sing its awesome frenetic song at dusk and tonight I was able to record it. It is a real treat to hear, and watch as it rises above the trees while hovering, and dipping like a yo-yo. Please listen! https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46669809

Also, many years back I found a gem of a book at the bargain table at Barnes and Noble: John J. Audubon’s Guide The BIRDS of the NORTHEAST His Art and His Observations, a Personal Field Guide (2004, Audubon Masterpiece Collection).

Aside every painting, is a short anecdote about the species. Here is what he had to say about the Ovenbird:

Golden-crowned Wagtail Thrush

“Perched erect on a low horizontal branch, or sometimes on a fallen tree, it emits, at intervals of ten or fifteen minutes, a short succession of simple notes, beginning with emphasis and gradually falling. This suffices to inform the female that her lover is at hand, as watchful as he is affectionate. The quieter the place of his abode, the more the little minstrel exerts his powers; and in calm evenings, its music immediately following the song of the Tawny Thrush appears to form a pleasant unison.

“The nest is so like an oven, that the children in many places call this species the ‘Oven bird.’ I have found it always on the ground, sometimes among the roots of a tall tree, sometimes by the side of a fallen trunk, and again at the foot of some slender sapling. It is sunk in the ground among dry leaves or decayed moss, and is neatly formed of grasses, both inside and out, arched over with a thick mass of the same material, covered by leaves, twigs, and such grasses as are found in the neighbourhood. A small aperture is left on one side, just sufficient to admit the owner. In this snug tenement the female deposits from four to six eggs, which are white, irregularly spotted with reddish brown near the larger end.

Ali
Huntington

Join us on Facebook!