Date: 6/18/18 2:56 pm
From: <scottvarney1968...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] White-winged Dove, Schuylerville
On my way home from work in Schuylerville yesterday, I observed a larger than ordinary "Mourning Dove" sitting on a telephone wire on Route 29 right next to the new location for Clark's Steakhouse at the West end of the bridge by the Schuyler Yacht Basin. (South side) Immediately, the size caught my attention along with an obvious white line along the lower wing. The orbital was bluish and a black "mustache" mark on the side of the neck were apparent (kind of like a Northern Flicker). I had business to attend to so had to keep driving...I looked for it today on my way through to work but to no avail. I might consider a "steak-out" tomorrow and spend some quality time searching. I've seen lots of White-winged Doves in New Mexico along with Eurasian Collared Doves and am certain this was a White-winged Dove. I'm curious if any have ever been seen in our area, as Sibley's lists this species as rare.

Happy Birding,

Scott Varney
Salem, NY

Posted by: <scottvarney1968...>