Date: 6/18/18 8:45 am
From: W. Larry Hymes <wlh2...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Where are the birds?
I have noticed, as have others, that the woods have not been as
plentiful with bird song as normal. On my recent walks at Upper
Buttermilk I have been very disappointed in the total absence of Wood
Thrush, Veery, and Scarlet Tanager. By this time in past years I've
always have several of these birds. On my most recent walk (Friday) I
was wonderfully surprised to hear 2 Wood Thrush and 2-3 each of Veery
and Scarlet Tanager. Why the sudden "reappearance"?? I know I'm going
to be criticized for asking, but could some birds (species) still be
migrating in? If not, then why did they finally "show up"? Some could
argue they were busy with nesting. But I've never experienced birds
remaining completely mum during the nesting season. Another argument
could be that they are now moving around after the first brood. I doubt
that would explain the numbers of these species I had all of a sudden
plopping down in Upper Buttermilk? By the way, we picnicked at Upper
Treman yesterday and bird song was relatively infrequent. Do any of you
have any thoughts on this subject??

Larry

--

W. Larry Hymes