Date: 6/13/18 1:23 pm
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Unid. flycatcher, Alton Baker Park, Eugene
*

Once in mid-June someone posted a single photo of a Willow Fly. It looked extremely yellow underneath, probably due to very early morning sun. It was perched on a Douglas-fir twig(as the bulk of Willow Flycatchers do in Oregon) so good perspective was available from the size of fir needles. Is the Willow under-endowed with eye-ring? Pale lower mandible? I’ve never committed that formula to memory, even though a mere half dozen Empids are an option to fill up an Oregon specific chart. We’ve gone over the drawbacks of one photo IDs many times. This picture was taken against the sky, risking a silhouette instead of a color image. The bird looks quite pale on my laptop and smartphone, probably due to the camera adjusting to challenging back light instead of true colors. The angle is problematic, but I wonder if the bird is tensing its wings, about to raise or flick them? In that case, less primary projection might result than if it was truly at rest. Lars
> On Jun 13, 2018, at 1:06 PM, Philip Kline <pgeorgekline...> wrote:
>
> Really tough from that angle, but I think I can make out an orange lower mandible, which rules out western kingbird. I would expect a western kingbird to have more yellow on the belly than the light wash this bird appears to show too. Long primary projection leans towards western wood-pewee over any empids that would have that general overall coloration and bill length. I can't make out much or any of an eyering either from this photo, but it could be there. Looks odd too for a pewee though with a shortish bill for that species, strange posture (for a WWPE), and quite pale overall. Possibly due to viewing angle and the photo being a little overexposed? Tough call.
>
> Philip Kline
>
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2018, 10:34 AM Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...> <mailto:<larspernorgren...>> wrote:
> No sense of scale. I vote Western Kingbird. Yellow belly,gray head and chest. No primary projection: wingtips about even with base of tail.lpn
>
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2018, 10:03 AM Bruce Newhouse <newhouse...> <mailto:<newhouse...>> wrote:
> I'm posting this for a friend, who saw this bird June 9 in Alton Baker Park in Eugene.
>
> She is requesting ID assistance.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Bruce Newhouse in Eugene
> http://brucen.zenfolio.com/p836331851 <http://brucen.zenfolio.com/p836331851>
>
> <http://brucen.zenfolio.com/p836331851>
>
> POST: Send your post to <obol...> <mailto:<obol...> JOIN OR QUIT: http://www.freelists.org/list/obol <http://www.freelists.org/list/obol> OBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obol <http://www.freelists.org/archive/obol> Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...> <mailto:<obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!