Date: 6/10/18 4:01 pm
From: stan Kostka lynn Schmidt <lynnandstan...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Fort Worden Purple Martins
Hi Jeff, Thanks for the martin count. That’s a lot of birds for that site. In my experience the largest number of martins counted at any one time around a known breeding location generally represents about half of all the birds breeding there (on average). Last time I visited the pier there I only saw four nestboxes. Are there more now ? Or, is it possible some martins are using the Guillemot boxes ? or nesting elsewhere under the pier ? I’ve seen martins using small ledges and rot pockets on and under piers at other places there in Jefferson County (Fort Flagler, Hadlock, and South Point). Maybe other pairs in the area but not on/under the pier ? Last summer a pair nested in a hole in a building out by the lighthouse.

Stan Kostka
lynnandstan at earthlink.net
Arlington

Subject: Herring Rain
Date: Wed Jun 6 2018 22:30 pm
From: gibsondesign15 AT gmail.com

This morning I was down at the Marine Science Center pier ... the whole time I was down there the background music was the
loud calling of the Purple Martins - I counted 11 around and on the the
nest boxes down there. Also saw many Pigeon Guillemots, which also have
nest boxes under the pier...

Jeff Gibson

Port Townsend Wa