Date: 6/9/18 11:56 am
From: 'Bailey, Steven D' <sdbailey...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Late migrants and uncommon to rare & other noteworthy breeding species
I've had some late migrants, and a large number of uncommon breeding birds this past week in several Lake County Forest Preserves that I am conducting bird surveys in for work this summer. Sorry for the lateness and length of this report, but figured it would be of interest to many local birders and since most of the birds reported are breeding, many/most should still be around. Many of these birds were detected well off-trail but others can still likely still be seen or heard from the trails. Most amazing to me are the large numbers of Acadian Flycatchers that I have been finding! Late migrants include 2 singing male YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHERS at Dan Wright Woods F..P. on 1 Jun and a single singing male seen well at Ryerson C.A. on 4 Jun. Late migrant warblers have included a singing male BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER heard & recorded by Sheryl on 3 Jun at Dan Wright Woods; a singing male BLACKPOLL WARBLER was heard at Old School F.P. on 1 Jun; a singing male NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH was heard at Ryerson C.A. on 4 Jun; a singing male BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER was heard at Ryerson C.A. on 6 Jun; and a singing male TENNESSEE WARBLER was heard at Grainger Woods F.P. on 7 Jun.

The following is a fairly long list of fairly uncommon to rare more northern or southern breeders and a few other high counts or nesting species of interest. Most birds seen at the same location on more than one date are mostly different birds since most involve birds detected at different census locations within the preserves. The restoration efforts at these preserves (i..e. removing trees & invasive shrubs) to restore areas to their former more savanna-like character seem to be returning more savanna-like bird communities to these areas, including more Red-headed Woodpeckers, Baltimore Orioles, Indigo Buntings and other species.
BARRED OWL - Saw one at Ryerson C.A. on 6 Jun; Pair w/2 fledglings at Dan Wright Woods F.P. on 18 May;
YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO - One at Ryerson 3 Jun; Eleven calling at Ryerson 4 Jun; 6 at Ryerson on 6 Jun;
PILEATED WOODPECKER - Seen or heard at FOUR different forest preserves! Saw one at Old School F.P. on 7 Jun; One calling at Dan Wright F.P. on 3 & 6 Jun; One, possibly 2 calling birds at Ryerson 4 Jun; Minimum of 5 (possibly 7) heard & seen from all corners of park on 6 Jun. This was either a family group of adults & young spread out over the entire forest preserve or maybe even involves 2 pairs!
RED-HEADED WOODPECKER - 4 at Ryerson on 6 Jun; 2 at Grainger Woods F.P. on 7 Jun;
RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER - pair bringing food to nest cavity w/2+ young at Dan Wright Woods F.P. on 1 Jun.
HAIRY WOODPECKER - Three nests with young found! These include a nest w/1+ yg at Old School F.P. on 1 Jun; nest w/2+ young at Dan Wright F.P. on 1 Jun; nest w/2+ yg at Ryerson on 4 Jun;
RED-EYED VIREO - 20 singing males at Ryerson on 4 Jun; 12 singing males at Ryerson on 6 Jun; 12 singing males at Grainger woods on 7 Jun;
TREE SWALLOW - Checking a nestbox at Old School F.P. on 7 Jun that an adult bird was perched atop, inside I found a recently deceased female lying next to 3 unhatched eggs.
VEERY - Singing male at Dan Wright F.P. 3 Jun.
WOOD THRUSH - 2 singing males at Dan Wright F.P. on 1 Jun; 2 singing males at Old School F.P. on 1 Jun; 2 singing males at Ryerson C.A.on 4 Jun.
EASTERN BLUEBIRD - A female was incubating 3 EABL eggs in a nestbox at Old School F.P. on 7 Jun.
AMERICAN ROBIN - My 1st fledgling young was found at Ryerson C.A. on 6 Jun., and my next was found the next day at home in Mundelein.
TUFTED TITMOUSE - One at Ryerson C.A. on 4 Jun.
BROWN CREEPER - One singing male at Ryerson C.A. on 4 Jun. Also, another singing male found on 5 May at MacArthur Woods N.P. was also likely on its breeding territory.
RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH - One at Ryerson C.A. on 6 Jun., w/2 there on 5 May. Nan Buckardt watched the pair at a nest cavity in same area in late May.
SUMMER TANAGER - Two singing males at Ryerson C.A. on 4 Jun.
SCARLET TANAGER - 5 (4 singing males) at Ryerson C.A. 4 Jun.
ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK - 7 (6 singing males), Ryerson C.A. on 4 Jun., 3 other singing males on 6 Jun at Ryerson.
EASTERN TOWHEE - 19 at Ryerson C.A. on 6 Jun. 11 at Grainger Woods F.P. on 7 Jun.
INDIGO BUNTING - 30 (28 singing males) at Ryerson C.A. on 4 Jun; 40 (39 singing males), Ryerson on 6 Jun.
Breeding or likely breeding warblers include:
OVENBIRD - 3 singing males at Ryerson C.A. on 4 Jun.
NORTHERN PARULA - Singing male at Ryerson C.A. on 4 Jun.
YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER - Singing male along entrance road at Ryerson C.A. on 3 Jun. Another singing male seen & photographed, returning to a breeding area at Ryerson (on opposite side of park) where they have nested in at least the past 3-4 years, 24 May.
HOODED WARBLER - FIVE SINGING MALES on territory! Singing male seen at Dan Wright F.P. on 1 Jun (by Sheryl); 3 singing males (different from above bird) at Dan Wright F.P. on 3 Jun; Singing male at Grainger Woods F.P. on 7 Jun.
CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER - Singing male at Ryerson C.A. on 6 Jun.
LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH - One Seen close at Ryerson C.A. on 4 Jun. where I have had this species in the summer in past years. Then heard this bird or its mate on 6 Jun. about 50-75 yards downstream.
PROTHONOTARY WARBLER - Singing male at Ryerson C.A. on 4 & 6 Jun. Also, two other singing males of this species found on 5 May at MacArthur Woods N.P. (including one close to a nestbox) are also likely breeding.
RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD - Found a newly completed nest at Grainger Woods F.P. on 7 Jun, but no eggs had been laid yet.
Good birding!

Steve Bailey
Mundelein (Lake Co.)
<sdbailey...>

Then my heart turns to Alaska and freedom on the run, I can hear her spirit calling
me to the mountains, I can rest there. To the rivers, I will be strong.
To the forests, I'll find peace there. To the wild country, where I belong.
- John Denver

Join us on Facebook!