Date: 6/9/18 4:32 am
From: don kerr <dnckr...>
Subject: Re: PABIRDS Digest - 7 Jun 2018 to 8 Jun 2018 (#2018-160)
Shonna,

Thanks for the explanation of the rubber ties. How much do I owe you for the service? You're right the local roads are in bad shape in many areas of TC. I wish that I could avoid Grant Street/Monroeville Avenue. People in the borough office said that they received a grant to repave it from Tri-Boro to 7-11 and maybe further. I hope that Allegheny County will fix James Street in Monroeville and Turtle Creek. I hope that Monroeville Blvd gets a full repaving after the milling.

Before I woke up I had nightmares about work: When I woke up I initially thought that I had on a pair of examination gloves. That was crazy.

Don

Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2018 11:57:26 -0400
From: Bob Schutsky <info...>
Subject: Probable Trumpeter Swans, Southern Lancaster County

Dear PABirders,

There are two adult swans on the Susquehanna River across from my house this morning. They give every indication of being Trumpeter Swans. The bills appear very flat, not concave as in a Tundra Swan. The heads seem rather flat, not rounded as in a Tundra Swan. And both swans appear larger than a typical Tundra Swan, with heavier necks. The morning light is good, but they are at least 3/4 of the way across the river, much closer to the York County shoreline. Thus they are approximately one mile away, which makes a positive identification just a bit tricky.
I hope that someone is able to see them at closer range and confirm the ID.

Sincerely,
BOB

BOB SCHUTSKY
Web Site www.birdtreks.com
--
BIRD TREKS--Quality Worldwide Birding Tours
216 Spring Lane

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2018 12:33:31 -0400
From: Bob Schutsky <info...>

Dear PABirders,

At 12:15pm I checked on the swans and they are now much closer, less than 1/2 way across the river, still directly in front of my house at
216 Spring Lane. I am now even more convinced that they are Trumpeter Swans. In addition to the field marks mentioned below, there is no yellow lore spot visible. I know that this is not definitive, as Tundras occasionally have no yellow lore. But it certainly adds to the evidence.

A good spot to scope from is the Peach Bottom boat launch, at the downriver end of Peach Bottom Road, just across the railroad tracks. Do not confuse this with the Peach Bottom Marina, which is at the mouth of Peter's Creek.

Good Luck!
BOB

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2018 14:43:50 -0400
From: Mark Vass <hawk5571...>
Subject: White-winged Scoter - Mercer Co.

The drake White-winged Scoter is still present this afternoon at Tower Rd.

I did not see the Greater Scaup

Mark Vass
Beaver Co.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2018 16:50:42 -0400
From: Russ Moll <russ.moll.rm...>
Subject: Re: White-winged Scoter - Mercer Co.

,,]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2018 17:56:59 -0800
From: "Hawkcount.Org Reports" <reports...>
Subject: Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (06 Jun 2018) Raptors

Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve Avondale, Pennsylvania, USA Daily Raptor Counts: Jun 06, 2018

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 0 0 1
Bald Eagle 0 0 0
Northern Harrier 0 0 0
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 0 0
Cooper's Hawk 0 0 0
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 0
Red-tailed Hawk 0 0 0
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 0 0 0
Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Mississippi Kite 0 0 2
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 0 0 3

Observation start time: 11:00:00
Observation end time: 19:30:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY KITE & SHOREBIRD WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (20): Jerry Jeffers (plus 2), Susan Jeffers, Mike Defina, Chad Hutchinson, Anne Oldach, Margretta Brokaw, Poly Brokaw, Dennis Davis, Sue McLaughlin, Howard Campbell, Fran DeMillion, Patricia Jacobs, Deb Kirchdoerfer, Elaine Kirk, Cindy Wilson, Laura Barnes, Jim Balint.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Kite & Shorebird Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Intermittent Clouds (70% cloud cover), Ceiling - 6,400-14,700 ft., Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 67 - 63F, Winds NNW @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (10) and Turkey Vultures (30).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
----“BUCKTOE BIRD BLOG” (BBB) - (Comments on the events & “feel” of the day – read on, if you dare) We see birds, many of them hawks; encounter other wildlife; discuss plants; while striving to laugh and have FUN with it all!
Notes on the raptors will be here, other birds and wildlife we notice or discuss, and humorous (I hope) stories and anecdotes. This isn’t brain surgery. Trust me, I know about that. I’ve already been “dead” once (it’s overrated). So, you WILL have to forgive me, but I AM going to have the ultimate fun with what remains of this life!
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Darkness Descends”--- <BR><BR> “The Early Bird Blog’s” daily word is “beacon.” Play along with me…how would you define it? Let’s see how close you are. For my part, I always confuse this word in what’s left of my mind, with “beckon.” But that’s a story for another day. I finally settled upon it meaning a light directing a course; as in a lighthouse. But how close was I? “One-Look” - my source for all my words - says it means a fire or light set up in prominent position as a warning, signal, guide, or celebration. This noun has English roots. How close were you to the exact phrasing of the definition?
We love words…do you? Choose the right one, use it in the right way and it can say so much for you. While certainly if you don’t, it can cause so much harm. Feel free to suggest your favorite.
<BR><BR>
“The Watch” day: June 6 – Our final day began with hope, but the realism that we had simply missed the bulk of Kites and shorebirds this season, moved incipiently into my thoughts. Dennis jokingly suggested that the bonfire, once ignited, might act as a beckon for the shorebirds. I wish, but they gave us “the slip” this day and much of this year’s watch.
<BR><BR>
Chad & Mike arrived, this time packing “Coastal Evacuation“ beer, a Cape may IPA, claiming it was for shorebird evacuation, not a prediction of intensely bad weather coming our way that would cause such an evacuation.
Seriously, who names these beers!?!? Nice touch, guys! I think we need to open our own brewery. I would love the job of naming them. Now, who could we get for quality control? Any ideas, MIKE? Taste tester, CHAD??
<BR><BR>
Sue arrived with crackers and cheese (see how I changed that up on you – not the reverse – I’m all about keeping if fresh, my friends). Thanks Sue, it was delicious. You know, I believe I’ve heard it said somewhere that gifts of food and beverages are not only welcomed, but to be encouraged here at Bucktoe. I’m not sure, though. I’ll look into it and get back to you.
<BR><BR>
Our bonfire was fantastic with many keeping company within its warm glow.
I beckoned several people over for pictures around the fire pit. Greg manned the grill and dispersed hot dogs. Many brought food and drink, there was a sparkling, bubbly, adult beverage of some sort floating around, brought by Elaine. There were pizzas, crackers, cheeses, wine, and other edibles and drinkables scattered about. And to all those bringing food and drink, I must “admonish” you that offerings of food and drink are not only welcomed, but to be encouraged here at beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve. I won’t be back on site until mid-August for the beginning of the Nighthawk Watch and the Hawk Watch which follows, so hold your offerings until then.
That is, unless you come on one of my other walks or trips I’ll be scheduling. Then, by all means, feel free to “offer!” Thanks, guys – you were great!
<BR><BR>
Better birds among our 54 species were: Great Blue Heron, Yellow-breasted Chat, and Blue Grosbeaks.
<BR><BR>
Thanks for your comments about ‘the Blog,’ Jerry & Patricia.
<BR><BR>
Now, a brief “Watch Recap:” What a strange year it was. In many ways very disappointing, but as I am want to say, there is no great or good year, without poor or bad years providing contrast. Well, this was a “contrast year.” We set lows for Mississippi Kites, with only two – although they were fantastic looks. And the shorebirds only showed up on four evenings – this year many were very late in the evening and distant, going unidentified. I believe most left later in the day on one of the VERY MANY bad weather days we had, passing overhead unobserved after darkness had descended.
We missed identifying Ruddy Turnstones and Red Knots for the first time since beginning this event. We did see Dunlin, Black-bellied Plovers, Sanderlings, and record numbers of Whimbrels came by – approx.. 630, though a bit early for our official “Whimbrel Day.” We did get an Olive-sided Flycatcher for our event, as we always do. As for Kites and Shorebirds, we’ll “hit it” better next year – I mean, now that we HAVE CONTRAST!
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Delaware Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws, for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening their property to the public for this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: Shorebirds: none.
<BR><BR>
3-Great Blue Heron, 2-Willow Flycatcher, 2-Yellow-breasted Chat, 2-Blue Grosbeak.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (4): Cabbage White, Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Eastern Tailed Blue, Variegated Fritillary. Dragonflies (1):
Green Darner. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
This is a stationary watch, but if I stay stationary too long, I might tend to “bulk up.” Besides, I am ever so fortunate to be walking unaided, at all! Therefore, I keep moving (if you’ve been here, then you know that I pace endlessly….) - my Fitbit thanks me and its part of my “Walk with Nature” program. So, below are MY results at the watch for the day. Your totals could all be zero, if you choose to sit and relax. You are certainly welcome to take it easy….I simply choose not to, affording me a panoramic view of our entire sky and a bit of exercise. So come join our “Walk with Nature!” ™ Anyway, just for fun, here are my numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 8.2; Steps: 19,228; Floors: 26.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a Kite & Shorebird watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. We include it here, from time to time (about once a week), to let you know what else we’re seeing here at the Bucktoe Watch. Our tally board, on site, will feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – searching for Kites and migrating shorebirds, must remain our primary focus) for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 54; this season: 90 <BR><BR> NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (0):” none.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
It's all over for this season, folks. Come join us for the Nighthawk Watch beginning on August 23, followed by the Bucktoe Hawk Watch beginning Sept.
1, running thru November 30.
<BR><BR>
This report is being sent individually to participants and people deemed to be interested parties. If you wish off the list, kindly notify me and you will be removed. However, this one mailing list is how I notify every one of our events, our walk schedule, tours and rare birds.
The Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by Delaware Nature Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with questions or comments.

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=788

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):

Take Union Street south out of town. This becomes Kaolin Road. Make a right onto Hillendale Road. Proceed about 1.5 miles to Sharp Road and make a left. At the second hilltop on Sharp Road, the entrance is on the left across from Candlewyck development. (432 Sharp Rd.) Upon entering driveway, make a right on gravel road opposite first driveway you see on left. Follow gravel road (and the "Hawk Watch" signs for about 1/2 mile to the pavilion on the left and the parking area in the grass to the right.

End of PABIRDS Digest - 7 Jun 2018 to 8 Jun 2018 (#2018-160)