Date: 6/8/18 2:19 pm
From: <khmo...>
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Clear cutting under powerlines
Sounds familiar. We had this battle with NYSEG several years ago when
they were planning to do Rock Cabin Road next to Queen Catharine Marsh.
Many meetings and emails later and we managed to stop them from using
the aquatic approved version of glyphosate entirely and forged an
agreement for them to simply cut and trim. They have many miles of ROW
to maintain and I can understand the need to do some of it during
nesting season though find it distasteful. I would not want to see them
not. Many ROWS can not be accessed during winter, late fall and early
spring do ground conditions. Not easy being a NYSEG ROW maintainer.

By the way, the old QCM group largely dissipated with only Elaine and us
trying to keep an eye on the place.

John

John

---
John and Sue Gregoire
Field Ornithologists
Kestrel Haven Migration Observatory
5373 Fitzgerald Rd
Burdett, NY 14818
42.443508000, -76.758202000

On 2018-06-08 13:28, Karen Edelstein wrote:

> I was dismayed to see that NYSEG has been clearcutting/brush-hogging vegetation down to bare ground under the powerlines on Salmon Creek Rd. With the nesting season still well in process, I'm very concerned about the probable mortality of birds that has resulted in this area of (formerly) dense growth.
>
> While I do not know whether this vegetation removal is happening elsewhere in the county, I would like to see if we can prevail on NYSEG to delay cutting at least until later in the summer.
>
> Your thoughts?
> --
> Welcome and Basics [1]
> Rules and Information [2]
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave [3]
> ARCHIVES:
> The Mail Archive [4]
> Surfbirds [5]
> BirdingOnThe.Net [6]
> PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR OBSERVATIONS TO EBIRD [7]!
> --

Links:
------
[1] http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsWELCOME